One underdeveloped wing

abijah469

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Sorry for skipping the formalities. I'm a new chick owner (2 weeks old) and I've just observed that one of the girls has an underdeveloped or underfeathered wing. Structurally, the wing is there and it works (like mad,lol) - but there's no wing feathers. Some are *just* starting, but it almost looks like she just has one wing. My concern is that if the wing feathers don't develop, she won't be able to keep warm. I just picked up the chicks today, so I could exchange her.... Anyone have experience with this? She's eating and scratching, otherwise...

Several years ago I had a chick who got its wing ripped off by a cat (the neighbor wasn't feeding her and she had kittens)...Anyway, after an antibiotic injection and a staple, she lived to adulthood. Functioned perfectly fine, just couldn't jump as high as the others. She grew normal body feathers on that side (as opposed to fluff under the other wing), never had an issue with warmth.

Fox got in and killed her one night because she couldn't perch as high as the others.
hmm.png

I would say that your chick is going to be ok.

Thanks. I should reiterate that she *does* have a wing....it just isn't developing feathers like the other wing. It doesn't look like it's been pecked either. The good wing is well feathered and covers her side... the other side - it's just like day old - stumpy and fuzzy with little pins *thinking* about coming out... If she's goofey, she'll fit in just fine around here, lol.

I will see what I can do about pics. You're in Yelm? I'm in Tacoma. Pleased to meet you. We will be watching her closely to make sure she's not picking. I'm a new member....seems like there was an issue with newbies posting pics ( say that four times fast ).

BTW... she is a Speckled Sussex. I also picked up a Gold and a Silver laced Wyandotte and a Jersey Giant ( I hope she fits through the chicken door when she grows up).

Quote:
Well, hi neighbor! And
welcome-byc.gif

You will love, love, LOVE this forum. More information available here than in a hundred chicken books. And the BYCers are GREAT people. I have to caution you -- it is easy to get addicted to reading all the posts. And if you want a good giggle, do a search on "chicken math". I'm sure you'll be experiencing that before long!

Good luck with your chick!

Yeah, I can upload the photos, but I can's post them.... The underdeveloped wing is pushing out flight feathers....they don't appear to be damaged. I guess we'll just have to wait...

Back
Top Bottom