One Week Old Chick Looks Like It's Gasping For Air

queend725

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Chuckey TN
Someone please help! I've been reading threads all morning and still don't know what to do. I've got a one week old chick that is laying flat on her belly and looks like she's gasping for air. She's making no sounds at all. Was fine yesterday. We hatched about 35 chicks last week. All seem to be doing fine (as was this one until this morning). They're being kept in a large metal water trough with pine shavings and a heat lamp. Exact same set up as Tractor Supply.
I've been reading about Gapeworm, respiratory infections/problems, etc. None of which really sound like they apply. I don't know what to do, and I'm thinking about just giving 1/4cc Tylan 50 just to see if it helps.
The chick just jumped and peeped like it was startled, but nothing was even near it. Can someone please help me quickly?!?! I don't want to injure or kill this baby with meds but I can't just sit here and watch it suffer either.

I had one recently who, at about a week old, seemed to be panting and lethargic. He was not exposed to the outside or other chickens other than his brooder mates who all seemed fine. We gave him vitamins and electrolytes which seemed to perk him up, but a few weeks later he passed. He was smaller than the others and WAY behind on feather development. I looked up everything I could but without having possible exposure to disease or parasites, we concluded that he was probably born with some major genetic defects which nothing could be done about. When he did pass, he had some major swelling; I'm guessing heart failure of some kind. I'd isolate him to make sure it's not contagious as well as reduce the stress on him from possibly being picked on by other chicks. If the others seem fine, it might be some kind of genetic defect. There's not a lot you can do for such a young chick and I guess sometimes these things happen. I'm sorry this probably isn't a lot of help, but we went through something similar and despite our best efforts, I guess he just wasn't meant to make it.

Back
Top Bottom