One went missing....should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Its not unusual for one of the freerangers to go missing for a day or so....they normally come right back. Anyways, yesterday I went down and one of my hens wasnt there. I have 2 rir hens 1 rir roo and 1 rsl hen that free range. The rsl hen was missing, I wasnt too worried, they normally come back (she is my favorite tho--super sweet). Then I went to go and get eggs and several of her eggs had some blood on them. I've never seen it before. Also, two of them were cracked in the shape of a "y" (exactly the same). I think the cracks may have something to do with the cold? The shell was cracked, but not through the membrane. Both of them were split very wide, and then after sitting in my truck with the heat on for a few, the cracks almost disappeared. I need to check, but havent, for blood in the nest. Its so high up Id need to get something tall to stand on to see in there. I went down today hoping I'd see her and the only chicken there was a rir hen. Everyone else is gone. I'm not too worried, but was wondering if you guys know of any reason why their would be blood on her eggs?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds like something is getting them, maybe a fox or a hawk. As for the blood, I find blood on my eggs from time to time so I thought it was normal.

3. beaker

beaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Western Mass.
    Some of my eggs also occasionally have a little blood on them. More likely with new layers, I think. As for the cracks, if I leave eggs in the coop too long when it's cold they crack like that. Missing chickens, though, that's more worrisome...

4. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    nm i already told u that lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by