One year old hen has not laid an egg in 6 1/2 months; all others are laying consistently

Thanks! I have same issue with one of my 1 year old hens (Americana). Stopped laying in the fall and hasn't started laying again. It's May 19th now so it's been about 7+ months. All the other hens (the ones that didn't lay throughout the winter) all resumed laying about two+ months ago.

I've switched feed a few times and cleaned the coop with no luck. We do have a rooster. She does climb into the next boxes all the time, sometimes on top of other laying hens. She occasionally waits for hens to leave the nest boxes (almost like she sits in the coop stalking them until they get up) then she goes and sits on the eggs. But this isn't an everyday occurrence and she only sits on them for a short bit before leaving them.

I'm holding out hope that she'll lay again. She's safe here either way, even though she is a freeloader!!! LOL She's middle of the pack (use to be at the bottom but after a hawk got a few of our hens, she's done much better in the pecking order). She looks healthy besides not having tail feathers. She lost them last year when at the bottom of the pecking order and has never grown them back. She has a fluffy butt and we have had to give her a bath about 3-4 times over the past 6 mos. due to poop sticking to them... all the other hens don't have the problem (maybe once). Not sure if that has anything to do with it??

Thanks! I have same issue with one of my 1 year old hens (Americana). Stopped laying in the fall and hasn't started laying again. It's May 19th now so it's been about 7+ months. All the other hens (the ones that didn't lay throughout the winter) all resumed laying about two+ months ago.

I've switched feed a few times and cleaned the coop with no luck. We do have a rooster. She does climb into the next boxes all the time, sometimes on top of other laying hens. She occasionally waits for hens to leave the nest boxes (almost like she sits in the coop stalking them until they get up) then she goes and sits on the eggs. But this isn't an everyday occurrence and she only sits on them for a short bit before leaving them.

I'm holding out hope that she'll lay again. She's safe here either way, even though she is a freeloader!!! LOL She's middle of the pack (use to be at the bottom but after a hawk got a few of our hens, she's done much better in the pecking order). She looks healthy besides not having tail feathers. She lost them last year when at the bottom of the pecking order and has never grown them back. She has a fluffy butt and we have had to give her a bath about 3-4 times over the past 6 mos. due to poop sticking to them... all the other hens don't have the problem (maybe once). Not sure if that has anything to do with it??
Thanks for writing this, my Easter Egger is acting the same way as your girl is. She stopped laying an egg about 6 weeks ago! I’m glad to know she’s not the only one. Maybe one day she’ll start up again.

I'm sad to say my girl only laid a few more eggs and stopped all together again. One day, I went outside and found her lifeless 30 minutes after checking on her. If she wasn't a pet, I wouldn't have let her be a freeloader for around 2 1/2 years, but she was a beautiful bird and took on the role of a rooster in terms of alerting everyone toward danger, so it worked out in the end.

Hello, I have been reading the different situations with hens not laying for months. I have a two year old golden sex link that has not laid an egg for roughly 2-3 months now. She did molt prior to her when she stopped laying eggs. Her crown and waddles are a very light peach color. She walks very slow, doesn't interact with the others and I have noticed the past few nights she lays on the floor in there coop instead of the roosting bar. Process of elimination I have treated them all with Corid in their water for 5-7 days in case of parasites. I always dust their coop with DE when I clean it and throw some around their digging holes.They get pellets with 16-18% protein. Treats accordingly.... I have 22 hens and 2 roosters, one being a bantam rooster. Mixed breeds. They have a large coop 16x18 attached with an area about 30x60, part shade. They free range during the day about 2-3 times a week when supervised. We live on 7 acres. She was one of by first batches of hens, so older and was towards the top of pecking order. The other girls don't bother her. She eats very little, but will gobble up a scrambled eggs if I give it to her or bread as a treat. When she first started to act up I treated for egg bound, but that wasn't it. Checked for parasites and don't see anything, which is hard to see. Any suggestions on what it could be? Your help and comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom