Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
I have a partridge Brahma from Greenfire, hanging out on our farm. The hen we received from GFF was never the picture of health and did not make it. He is missinh tale feathers now from my daughter dog.

brahma chicken
If all your birds have it, you can not breed it out, with out bringing in clean hocked stock.  Vulture hocks are a recessive trait, meaning in order for it to show itself, the chick has to recieve a copy of the gene from each parent.  The incidious thing about vulture hocks is a perfectly clean hocked looking bird may still be carrying one copy of the gene, and 50% of it's chicks will recieve a copy.  All of this will go undetectable untill mated with a bird that also carries a copy.  Any chick recieving a copy from each parent will have visible vulture hocks. This bird will have no option but to pass a copy to all of it's chicks. Believe me I have culled many a bird over the years while never using a vulture hocked bird as breeder since the early years of developing silver laced Brahmas. I was concerned people would not be diligent about this once I let some stock loose, and appears that in fact is happening. I currently have my best silver laced hens penned with a pretty nice light cockerel in an attempt to add a little size, type, open their tails, and futher dilute remnant vulture hock traces, along with some splash blue columbian hens.
24364_dscf4356.jpg

Hi I'm new here but I have 4 to 5 month old Brahmas. I was wondering how to tell hen from the rooster. There doin a lot of pecking each other on the head

I don't no if I can but they are white with black on the tail and around there neck. They all have big red combs and beards

hey guys.im new in this forum and im glad to find the Exact forum on the internet.
yesss.gif

well...i have some questions:)
1-i have got a brahma hen which is like this

and a rooster which is

well i wanted to know what colour is expected if they mate and breed.for more information the mother of my hen was exactly same pattern as her and the father was a white brahma.but the rooster is pure golden.
2-i wanted to read more abut colour inheritance of brahmas.can anybody give me a helpful link?thanks:)
3-i wanted to know how i can Oversize my rooster/hens.is there any recommendations?i feed my chicks with soybeans-corns-wheat-fish-vitamins and calcium phosphate fluoride minerals+vegtables/fruits on each meal.
thanks alot dear fellas

WOW!!! I just finished reading through all 26 wonderful pages and I am just blown away by the amount of knowledge here! And of course the birds are just STUNNING! I'm a newbie to the chicken world, having just moved into my first house over the summer. I've got 11 chicks ranging from 8 weeks to 16 weeks. 7 of which are brahmas. 4 partridge pullets, 2 partridge cockerels and 1 light cockerel. I have already ordered 6 blue partridge chicks for the spring. I cannot wait to start working with these beauties! Before I got my chickens I did a lot of research into what breed I wanted. When I saw the brahmas I just knew they were the chickens for me. I also decided I wanted some pretty blue eggs so I've got some Ameraucanas and EEs hatching as we speak! And yes I know that Ameraucanas and EE are not the same. My plan is to have an Ameraucana roo over EE and ameraucana hens. Anyway, I am soooo excited to have found this thread and hopefully I'll have something to contribute soon!

Here are my Gold Laced hens. Let me know what y'all think. I'm am thinking of culling a couple but not sure which ones yet (if any) as I only have 7. I have 8 cockerels however & will post pics of them tomorrow.They are only 6 months old. I like all of them, so I'm having a very difficult time deciding which ones to keep. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Here are my Gold Laced hens. Let me know what y'all think. I'm am thinking of culling a couple but not sure which ones yet (if any) as I only have 7. I have 8 cockerels however & will post pics of them tomorrow.They are only 6 months old. I like all of them, so I'm having a very difficult time deciding which ones to keep. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
I love all of them it would be very hard for me to decide which ones to let go. Good luck!

I let my only hen hatch out an egg about 5 weeks ago, didn't really want the breeding but since she insisted and is the only laying hen that I have right now I let her hatch one. It turned out that this was actually a good thing, because although I had no intention of breeding the adult male that I had (he was there for flock protection until the rest of them grew up enough) turns out that they are each carrying the VH gene. The one chick (5 weeks old) just exhibited VHs, so both the hen and the cock bird will need to go into the cull pen. It's a shame, I actually liked the hen. I'll be breeding the rest of the pullets to a VH dark male as soon as they are ready to breed, hopefully I don't find any more carriers.

Back
Top Bottom