1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ongoing pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by js1085, Aug 6, 2014.

1. js1085

js1085 New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    Stevens County, Washington
    Hi,

First time BYC'er here. I received 7 baby chicks from Meyer Hatchery about 2 weeks ago. They're all very rambunctious and doing well (7 different breeds). One chick, the light brahma, had pasty butt around Day 3. I cleaned her up and have been doing so every 2-3 days (when her vent appears clogged - I check her 2-3x/days). Occasionally covering area with vaseline. None of the other chicks are having this issue.

Is this something that will resolve on its own as she gets older? She seems completely fine otherwise - running around, jumping off of things, eating, drinking, etc. I have been uber cautious/consistent about temperature - heeding both temperature guidelines and watching chick behavior. I am considering using probiotics, however, I wonder if it'd be overkill to dose the whole flock, if I'm only having trouble with one chick? (On the topic of probiotics, could I give her/them a little bit of my son's probiotic powder in their water? Just curious.)

Thanks in advance!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by