Ongoing Prolapse Issue - new development

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
I have a 2 year old white Leghorn hen, DJ, who has been having a prolapse problem for 4 months now. It isn't always out, only when she has to lay an egg, which can then take a few days to go back in after she has laid it.
I have been giving her calcium (tums) and oyster shells, but it didn't seem to help prevent the soft shell eggs. She laid a few hard shells too, which also caused her prolapse to come out for a few days until it went back in on its own. I just kept the tissue moist with vetericyn spray and hemorrhoid cream at least 2x a day until it went back in.
She has also had sour crop twice over the past 4 months, which was caught early and treated with miconazole and probios.
Well the last 3 weeks she had been doing pretty good, no prolapse issues or other issues. She is molting, so no egg laying.
Now the prolapse is back as of this morning, but I am concerned with how the tissue looks.
20230719_121406.jpg

Could it be signs of an infection? Should I give antibiotics? (I have 500mg amoxicillin fish antibiotics)

I have been giving her calcium (tums) and oyster shells, but it didn't seem to help prevent the soft shell eggs. She laid a few hard shells too, which also caused her prolapse to come out for a few days until it went back in on its own. I just kept the tissue moist with vetericyn spray and hemorrhoid cream at least 2x a day until it went back in.

She has also had sour crop twice over the past 4 months, which was caught early and treated with miconazole and probios.
Well the last 3 weeks she had been doing pretty good, no prolapse issues or other issues. She is molting, so no egg laying.
Now the prolapse is back as of this morning,
Poor girl!

Some hens can end up with having chronic prolapse problems.
The tissue doesn't look very good to me, I might consider giving the antibiotic since she's prolapsing so much. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10 days.

Sour crop would go hand in hand with her having reproductive problems. If it's taking days for the tissue to go back in, this, along with inflammation will slow the processes down - essentially blocking/restricting the digestive system which in turn, causes the crop to not empty and turn sour...

I would get Calcium Citrate with D3 (500-600mg) and give her 1 tablet daily for a week.
TUMS works o.k, but try the Calcium Citrate.

Has DJ gone through a molt yet? Hopefully she will molt this fall and take break from egg laying, this may help her reproductive system heal. But she may end up having this issue all of her life.
I've only had 1 White Leghorn so far, she was a little doll and an egg laying machine, but this cut her life short I'm afraid.

Poor girl!

Some hens can end up with having chronic prolapse problems.
The tissue doesn't look very good to me, I might consider giving the antibiotic since she's prolapsing so much. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10 days.

Sour crop would go hand in hand with her having reproductive problems. If it's taking days for the tissue to go back in, this, along with inflammation will slow the processes down - essentially blocking/restricting the digestive system which in turn, causes the crop to not empty and turn sour...

I would get Calcium Citrate with D3 (500-600mg) and give her 1 tablet daily for a week.
TUMS works o.k, but try the Calcium Citrate.

Has DJ gone through a molt yet? Hopefully she will molt this fall and take break from egg laying, this may help her reproductive system heal. But she may end up having this issue all of her life.
I've only had 1 White Leghorn so far, she was a little doll and an egg laying machine, but this cut her life short I'm afraid.
Okay sounds good. The tissue looks less yellow today. Yesterday she did end up laying a shell-less egg.

I will definitely pick up some calcium citrate for her.

She just started molting recently, which is why she was doing okay for the last two weeks. Until having to lay an egg 2 days ago.

Yes, I have had white Leghorns before that all died around 3. I told myself I wasn't going to get more, but they were the last 8 chicks they had at TSC. This truly will be the last time.

Just wanted to give an update. Unfortunately, it's not good news. DJ passed away last night.
The last few weeks I had been doing my best to bring her back from her latest prolapse, but she developed sour crop again, and it was the worst case she had. She lost some weight due to not eating as much. She recovered from the sour crop, and she was doing well for a while. But in her final days, she got progressively weaker. She still went outside and scratched around, drank water, etc. Yesterday I could tell she probably wasn't going to make it as she didn't even want to go out and scratch and sunbathe like she usually does.
Here she was a week ago on one of her last good days
20230807_145251.jpg

Just wanted to give an update. Unfortunately, it's not good news. DJ passed away last night.
The last few weeks I had been doing my best to bring her back from her latest prolapse, but she developed sour crop again, and it was the worst case she had. She lost some weight due to not eating as much. She recovered from the sour crop, and she was doing well for a while. But in her final days, she got progressively weaker. She still went outside and scratched around, drank water, etc. Yesterday I could tell she probably wasn't going to make it as she didn't even want to go out and scratch and sunbathe like she usually does.
Here she was a week ago on one of her last good days
View attachment 3609344
:hugs I'm sorry to hear about DJ.

Back
Top Bottom