Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
It's just a log cabin variation, drawing a blank on the name of it right now. It's really easy to do.

Thanks for checking out the thread! I hope to get back to quilting when the winds and snow are blowing this winter, but I still have the problem of having somewhere to put it all. No one is buying stuff right now and my cabinet is full, though I did just sell that lap quilt just mentioned.

Totally understand. I haven't been able to work on any of my projects as of late just for the fact that trying to quilt at my kitchen table with a toddler underfoot is definitely a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of process. :rolleyes: Had to set it aside for a while before frustration burned me out on it. We're working on finishing off a room in our basement as my designated sewing space, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into the groove with it once that is finished.
Love that lap quilt! Gorgeous color choices, BTW. Also was really inspired by your idea for an orphan block quilt. I love seeing various blocks all together like that, it would definitely be one of those quilts that you never tire of looking at because you're always finding something new.
I'll be following along! :)

Ah, you reminded me of the orphan block quilt. I found I didn't have enough orphans to make one, darn it. The closest thing I have would be the one I made with 8" blocks, all different, no thought to color or design back when I was hand quilting everything (and hand-piecing as well). But, all blocks are the same size, so it's not exactly the same thing.

ColorSquares (2017_08_11 00_47_01 UTC).jpg

Ah, you reminded me of the orphan block quilt. I found I didn't have enough orphans to make one, darn it. The closest thing I have would be the one I made with 8" blocks, all different, no thought to color or design back when I was hand quilting everything (and hand-piecing as well). But, all blocks are the same size, so it's not exactly the same thing.

View attachment 1135369

Beautiful! A true heirloom piece. I love quilts with lots of texture and visual interest like that.

I've never tried hand piecing or quilting before! I hear it gives the best results for intricate work and detailed quilting. I would love to try a long arm machine someday, but alas - they are most definitely not in the budget. The bummer with my machine too is that the throat/harp space is SO small. I haven't dared to put the queen sized quilt I pieced for my sister's wedding gift through it, so I may just need to learn how to hand quilt. Is it very hard?

Man, now I've got the itch to quilt again! :D Better put the pressure on my DH to finish up that basement in a hurry. It's a good thing he loves me. :lau

Beautiful! A true heirloom piece. I love quilts with lots of texture and visual interest like that.

I've never tried hand piecing or quilting before! I hear it gives the best results for intricate work and detailed quilting. I would love to try a long arm machine someday, but alas - they are most definitely not in the budget. The bummer with my machine too is that the throat/harp space is SO small. I haven't dared to put the queen sized quilt I pieced for my sister's wedding gift through it, so I may just need to learn how to hand quilt. Is it very hard?

Man, now I've got the itch to quilt again! :D Better put the pressure on my DH to finish up that basement in a hurry. It's a good thing he loves me. :lau

I have a semi-longarm machine, 9" throat space, no computer, just me doing it all. It is made for machine quilting, only one stitch. Bought is on ebay used for less than $350. Check out Ebay deals for folks who have extra machines like this quilter I got this one from. On Amazon, it's about $700, the newer versions of it.

I have a semi-longarm machine, 9" throat space, no computer, just me doing it all. It is made for machine quilting, only one stitch. Bought is on ebay used for less than $350. Check out Ebay deals for folks who have extra machines like this quilter I got this one from. On Amazon, it's about $700, the newer versions of it.

That's great! I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled. Thanks for the tip! :)

If all y'all don't mind a couple questions from a guy that is all thumbs and has two left feet, (basically I'm clueless BUT, that makes me the most honest man around)
1. What is the best method for storing heirloom quilts, and
2. What is the best way to display said heirlooms?

These are hand stitched by my Grandma and Great Grandma. Please don't ask me the patterns and yes, I will post pics once I figure out how.

Thanks in advance.
Lat

Last edited:
One way is to lay it out on an unused bed and lay some sort of coverlet over it. Or lay it between two white sheets and fold it accordian style and put in a shallow Rubbermaid container. Some quilt shops recommend layering with a non-acid paper to store it. Whatever you do, keep it out of sunlight. I have quite a few and they are all in an old wardrobe cabinet that has a lined cedar section that lost its scent ages ago. Well, most are. One or two are in the zippered plastic bags that mattress pads come in and in my dark closet in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom