Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Yes, some people watch and wait and try to snipe at the end. You have a good idea of the value, so you won't get caught out if there's a "bidding war" towards the closing time. You never know, you could get lucky.

That's how I got my Brother 1500. I bid in the last 10 seconds, my computer was slow, but it apparently squeaked in ahead of whoever else was bidding. That's just the way the system works. My husband had to school me on the way it works back then. You may already know this, but if I put in a bid of say, $750, if someone has only bid $500, then the current bid will read $501 and it will be mine. If someone else bids $505, then it will automatically jump to $506, if bids are in $1 increments, and that will be my bid. It will do that all the way up to my limit. What I won't know is what someone else has put in for their limit. So, I don't want to do that until it's close to the end or they may start frantically bidding to beat the next number. And I can also bid above my set limit if I choose, but I won't do that, probably. There are a few others on Ebay at the moment for slightly higher prices, some auctions, some with buy-it-nows, some with make offer on them, too. This one happens to be the lowest at the moment, but I'm checking for new listings every day, too.

You may already know this, but if I put in a bid of say, $750, if someone has only bid $500, then the current bid will read $501 and it will be mine. If someone else bids $505, then it will automatically jump to $506, if bids are in $1 increments, and that will be my bid. It will do that all the way up to my limit. What I won't know is what someone else has put in for their limit.
You would if you put it in now and jumped straight to the front - they'll only have bid less, either as a limit or as a single bid.
So, I don't want to do that until it's close to the end or they may start frantically bidding to beat the next number.
You just need to hope that there's no other "you" out there who really wants it too who appears at the end. Do they still allow sniping programs to access Ebay?

And I can also bid above my set limit if I choose, but I won't do that, probably.
Don't. Figure it out when there's no pressure and then stick to it. Paying more than you've decided it's worth is paying too much. Don't get caught up in the "must win!" thing.

Here is the other one that is ending in 2 hours. Only one person has bid (twice for some reason) at the starting price, $800. Shipping is $45 on this one.
That one shows sold now, and it shows shipping at just under $250 - would the buyer have selected express shipping on it to make it that high?

That one shows sold now, and it shows shipping at just under $250 - would the buyer have selected express shipping on it to make it that high?
I didn't catch that. Why would someone do that? That's nuts. Anyway, the other is up to $540 now and I may go to $700 or 750 but definitely not above that. There are a few others higher priced with "make offer" buttons on them that I'm watching, but I can also just wait for the next good deal to come along. It can be a 7700 or above, but I don't want the previous model, smaller throat space. As it is, the 7700 is 8 years old, I believe.

That's a great price on shipping. I just plugged the machine I am selling into the postage calculator and it's $183 from my zip to your's Cyn! Of course, Texas is a couple of thousand miles closer.

That's a great price on shipping. I just plugged the machine I am selling into the postage calculator and it's $183 from my zip to your's Cyn! Of course, Texas is a couple of thousand miles closer.

Postage is crazy expensive, that's for sure. I'm mailing out a quilt tomorrow to Utah, but that machine is pretty darn heavy.

Back
Top Bottom