Ongoing runny butts

NJEggs

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2016
South Jersey
30E47AC1-0806-4AC5-BBCA-C50624ED2407.jpeg
32698626-4EAF-4DEB-A3B2-801B666CF265.jpeg
Need some help. We got chickens six or eight months ago. It was a group of 17 or 18 chickens that were rescued. Five of these chickens have been kept separate since we got them due to running butts. We have treated them with diatomaceous earth, medicated feed and corid. Nothing seems to alleviate this week. We do not have a veterinarian in the area that will treat chickens. Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Do an on site or google search on 'vent gleet'. Cleaning the area, application of betadine or an Iodine based antiseptic, addition of apple cider to the water, may be yeast infection, - all may help. Antibiotics do not help; although, I have seen recommendations for the use of Metronidazole - not certain about that.

You may want to get some Medistatin (nystatin) and treat them for a fungal infection. I would do the recommended warm soaks to the bottoms either with Betadine and a little dish soap, or Epsom salts water once a day. Dry well, and apply an antifungal cream daily. Those could include Nustock cream from a feed store, clotrimazole from Dollar Tree, or Monistat 7 from a drug store.

It also looks like there has been some feather picking about the tail, and that can lead to cannibalism and vent injury or gleet. Hopefully, the feathers will grow back after the next molt. I would make sure they are getting enough protein in a balanced layer or all flock feed, and are not overcrowded.

Back
Top Bottom