Onions & tomatoes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dodgersmomma, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    We give our chickens left over fruits and veggies but my question is, can they have onions and tomatoes?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    From what I have heard, onions will change the flavor of the eggs, and their meat...if you want that, and they eat them, I don't see a problem...mine don't seem to mind tomatoes...but I stay away from onions since I sell my eggs.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Tomatoes are fine. With onions, are you talking raw or cooked? I think you will find they won't have much interest in them raw. But a few weeks ago we had some leftover cooked onion in long strips and I threw it out for them with the rest of the scraps for that day. That first day they ate around them and the other scraps disappeared, leaving just the onion. About 36 hours passed, during which time apparently they had time to mature and become palatable. First one wandered over and tried one. The others, deciding that she had just discovered a new treat, wrestled her for it. Before long they were all there trying to find the best bits from among the "treats" they had so disdainfully walked around for the past two days. Go figure. Anyway, I did not notice any difference in the flavor of the eggs in the days following.

4. Pam_x

Pam_x Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    My two love tomatoes!when they have gone a bit soft thats when i chuck them a couple out at a time..
    luv
    pam x

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give ours tomatoes. We don't have any yet (late planting) but I had some in the freezer from last year's garden and when it was really hot, I gave them those.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We throw all our scraps our where the birds can pick through them. They devour tomatos but don't eat onions, onion skins or potato peels, or avocado peels for that matter.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I stick tomatoes that are not to my liking in the fridge to get them nice and cold, then cut in half (and sometimes into pieces) for cold treats on these hot days. I can't see them eating onions though (unless cooked into something). Mine also won't eat cucumbers or bell peppers - they free range, so they're kind of picky w/their veggies during the summer months. [​IMG]

8. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    Agree on the tomato front, they are great for a cold day, the only thing with onions or green pepper such as bell they will give your eggs a bitter taste. Mine love sunflower seed, watermelon rind on a hot day I will freeze the left over and they eat it down to the green, they love it! No onions unless eggs aren't your aim. [​IMG]

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Tomatoes are one of my chicks favorite treats. My Banties eat the cherry tomatoes out of my hands. I give lots of tomato scraps. Today I was canning and they got bucket loads of tomato pulp.
    Onions, probably, they wouldn't eat except for the green scallions. Unless they were cooked in something.
    I wouldn't feed potato peels unless cooked. You can cook quickly by microwaving or boiling. I think they can be toxic raw. One of very. Few things I won't throw out for mine, since mine free range in the lasagna/ compost garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by