Onions

The way I look at this in general is that anything the chickens eat contains something that can kill them or make them sick. Anything you eat contains something that can kill you or make you sick. Why aren't we all dead? Dosage. There are very few things where one bite will harm you or them. There are a few but not really that many in nature.

Cabbage is a good example. There is something in cabbage that can mess with their thyroid. Yours too for that matter. But they or you would pretty much need to eat nothing but cabbage for a few days for it to be a danger unless you are allergic to it. That is not going to happen. Cabbage is a good safe treat for them. About anything fed to them in moderation should be OK. I tend to not worry about this kind of stuff much, just feed it in moderation.

Homesteading-Guide-to-Allium-Allilums.jpg

Picture taken from this website.

The way I look at this in general is that anything the chickens eat contains something that can kill them or make them sick. Anything you eat contains something that can kill you or make you sick. Why aren't we all dead? Dosage. There are very few things where one bite will harm you or them. There are a few but not really that many in nature.

Cabbage is a good example. There is something in cabbage that can mess with their thyroid. Yours too for that matter. But they or you would pretty much need to eat nothing but cabbage for a few days for it to be a danger unless you are allergic to it. That is not going to happen. Cabbage is a good safe treat for them. About anything fed to them in moderation should be OK. I tend to not worry about this kind of stuff much, just feed it in moderation.
That makes sense and very true even for us humans.

Back
Top Bottom