Online advice from "experts"

Always better to get your advice here on BYC. Most of the blog sites are selling ads or worse, linking to products so they get a cut of the sale from Amazon or as an affiliate. They recommend only what makes them money and the rest of the info is just click bait they have likely copied from BYC.

I realize that BYC sells ads, someone has to pay the bills, but the advice comes from individuals not marketers looking to make a buck.
Love this. You very succinctly stated my point. I trust you all way more

Hi there .I just started using sand, well actually I just started raising chickens and they’re three months old now. I have 13 wonderful girls. We ordered tons of river sand and did the coop and the run. I’m not sure if it’s relevant but we live in South Florida so summer it’s rainy winter it’s dry. Anyway my question is you said you clean out your run every few months as needed. Do you turn the sand over more often when it’s full of poop? I never was sure if I was supposed to clean it off the top with a strainer or what? If I turn it under does it draw tons of flies and doesn’t it smell? We don’t have a winter break from the insects. The chickens are outside in a fenced yard most of the day so that’s where they do their scratching. I don’t think I could count on them to do much scratching in the coop as they’re only there mainly to sleep. I could easily turn It over as it would be easier than sifting it! So thankful to have this great resource (BYC) . !!!!
I personally use hemp and sweet pdz in the coop and also in the covered "run". My run is sort of like an extension of the coop. Double tarped completely over in the winter. aart has some really good pictures of the pdz under the roosting bars. I also just scoop with a litter scoop. In the run, I just turn it over with a pitchfork and add more to the top as needed. No odor although our temps in Minnesota are not the same.

Back
Top Bottom