Online advice from "experts"

Just because someone pays to have their own website does not make them an expert in what they are saying.

DE is worthless.
Feeding oatmeal takes away from the bird getting a complete balanced diet and does nothing good for its health.
Sand, no thank you...I prefer dirt.
I agree.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
Thank you!

Always better to get your advice here on BYC. Most of the blog sites are selling ads or worse, linking to products so they get a cut of the sale from Amazon or as an affiliate. They recommend only what makes them money and the rest of the info is just click bait they have likely copied from BYC.

I realize that BYC sells ads, someone has to pay the bills, but the advice comes from individuals not marketers looking to make a buck.

Most of the blog sites... info is just click bait they have likely copied from BYC.

I'm sure I've seen several that contain original content. However, I mostly agree with the other things you're saying.

I would say BYC is more reliable because it's easy to ask questions and get explanations. Any one person might say something wrong--but someone else is likely to point that out within a few posts, where it's still fairly easy to find. The structure of a blog does not lend itself to that kind of conversation.

Last edited:
I swear by DE. I know many people don’t, but for me it has been a lifesaver.(My chicken agrees)
I have a special needs chick who can’t walk(but is starting to regain strength-just stood up on his own for the first time today!!)
After a week of having him he got flystrike. After that I have used DE EVERYWHERE. In his bedding, on his behind, in his outdoor pen, on his poop pile. Not only has he not gotten flystrike again, there has been a significant decrease in the amount of flies. I do know it is bad for the respiratory system, but he most likely will have a shortened lifespan anyway and the way I see it is it’s better to take the chance with potential respiratory problems then any other round of flystrike, which I personally don’t want to go through again, and I’m sure he doesn’t either. I also give it to him in his food. Some of the maggots made their way inside of him and after pushing DE into him he pooped them out, dead. He also ended up pooping out a bunch of dead Cecel worms! So I believe it works.

If I were you I would be careful who you listen to regardless of where it comes from. There’s a lot of people that continually regurgitate what they read with no actual experience.
For example someone who has the answer to every medical condition a chicken can possibly have seems a bit suspect. Maybe they could do a better job preventing those issues? I would be cautious of people who rarely post pictures of their own birds too. Tons of experts everywhere. Lol

I don't use DE. I find it way too dusty, irritating to lungs, and mostly ineffective against mites and lice. So pointless for me. Oatmeal makes a nice treat for the birds especially on cold days. Just don't over do it. I use sand in my run and absolutely love it. We have clay soil so it help to keep everything dry. The girls pick out and eat the rocks and love to dust bathe in it too. I just rake the top and scoop the junk out whenever it gets gross (every few months or so).
Hi there .I just started using sand, well actually I just started raising chickens and they’re three months old now. I have 13 wonderful girls. We ordered tons of river sand and did the coop and the run. I’m not sure if it’s relevant but we live in South Florida so summer it’s rainy winter it’s dry. Anyway my question is you said you clean out your run every few months as needed. Do you turn the sand over more often when it’s full of poop? I never was sure if I was supposed to clean it off the top with a strainer or what? If I turn it under does it draw tons of flies and doesn’t it smell? We don’t have a winter break from the insects. The chickens are outside in a fenced yard most of the day so that’s where they do their scratching. I don’t think I could count on them to do much scratching in the coop as they’re only there mainly to sleep. I could easily turn It over as it would be easier than sifting it! So thankful to have this great resource (BYC) . !!!!

-I use sand with my quail and like it pretty well.
-I use DE in my garden and in the dust baths mixed with sand. It is microscopically sharp and pointy and breaks down the exoskeleton of pests slowly dehydrating, and killing, them. Sounds terrible, but ... I have actually seen thresholds designed to do the same thing for sale in home improvement stores.
-I use shavings in the coop and so far havent had any issues. I love being able to just empty it into their run and they love scratching through it.
-I feed food scraps, though not often simply because I don’t cook often.
-Oatmeal, haven’t tried it yet but sounds like a delicious treat, not as a daily thing probably.
-I do LOVE the conversation aspect of this website. I actually haven’t read the ones you mentioned, but I imagine they’re no different than other sites with different topics. Okay, I guess, but definitely one-sided and likely a lot of copy/paste vs. actual reseach. I also find those sites to be very: “this works for me and mine, so it must work for everyone or they’re doing it wrong.”
-my best advice with chickens, and other animals, even children, is constant vigilance! to quote MadEye Moody from Harry Potter.
Just keep your eyes and ears open and just observe. And, trust yourself.

Hi there .I just started using sand, well actually I just started raising chickens and they’re three months old now. I have 13 wonderful girls. We ordered tons of river sand and did the coop and the run. I’m not sure if it’s relevant but we live in South Florida so summer it’s rainy winter it’s dry. Anyway my question is you said you clean out your run every few months as needed. Do you turn the sand over more often when it’s full of poop? I never was sure if I was supposed to clean it off the top with a strainer or what? If I turn it under does it draw tons of flies and doesn’t it smell? We don’t have a winter break from the insects. The chickens are outside in a fenced yard most of the day so that’s where they do their scratching. I don’t think I could count on them to do much scratching in the coop as they’re only there mainly to sleep. I could easily turn It over as it would be easier than sifting it! So thankful to have this great resource (BYC) . !!!!
I just rake the top into a pile and scoop it out. I only use sand in my run though. Not in my coop. I don't turn it under at all. If you want to turn it under youre better off with something that will compost.

Back
Top Bottom