Online Large Fowl Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well the problem with dragons is, once they hatch out you have to wait 50 years for them to lay eggs.
On an unrelated topic, I called the local lumber mill, and they wanted over three dollars for one pressure treated 2x4x8! I mean, really, is that necessary?

You guys have been watching to much Game of thrones. I'm still working on my big pile free lumber and i hope i find some more.

Ok, well the problem with dragons is, once they hatch out you have to wait 50 years for them to lay eggs.
On an unrelated topic, I called the local lumber mill, and they wanted over three dollars for one pressure treated 2x4x8! I mean, really, is that necessary?

Do you have a local saw mill? We have one and we go through the cull pile for any not so bad boards. They are $0.50 a PIECE. I can get 2x12 16' long for that. You can paint/stain them and they make GREAT chicken pens. :)

We went to lowes and for a dollar a board we got 2x4x8 manager just pulls the ones out with th blemishes!

Our local sawmill is hard to work with. I went there for shavings and they won't sell less than a ton. I do get cheap boards at Home Depot sometimes.
Today the doeling got her head stuck twice in the fence. So I applied the crown of shame. Which consists of a piece of PVC or a branch about a foot long duct taped to her horns. It was hilarious , her mother didn't recognize her! Anyway now she can't get her head through the fence. Packing some eggs, going to town tomorrow .

:lol: we had to do that at a show once. My sister shows meat goats and one year we where given a 4 week old kiko doeling with a broken leg. She came from a semiwild herd on some land where a friend was boarding her horses. She was left behind when they ran out of the barn when our friend walked in. The owner said she could take it, he would just kill it. We put a hard cast on it for a few weeks, and it healed up nice. She grew and you couldn't tell her leg was broken, no lumps or limps. She didn't meet the weight min for the first show, but we couldn't leave her alone, so we brought her along. The pens had bars about 4 in apart. She was just small enough to squeeze thru. They put the goats in the pen, and started walking back to the truck, and here comes Nubs running behind them. So we had to find a pipe to tape to her horns.

Today I went to town and got goat feed and 2x4x8, so I can build another grow out pen. Have a lead on a cheap dog run too, so I hope I get that. I finally caved in and bought 5 chicks at the feed store , little banties were way too teenie and cute. So I walked around Lowe's and Walmart accompanied by loud cheeping. Well, it was too hot to leave them in the truck. Then just as I was getting ready to feed tonight , it started pouring rain. At least it will be good for the garden.
Oh, and sign up for the May hatching egg swap, if you have not already done so, it is loads of fun!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked on a shelter for the grow out pen today. Got the frame made and painted. Tomorrow is the goat sale at Scotts Hill, and I am taking three bucklings. I moved the other two to a new pasture. The ticks are bad in the back pasture, I had to pull a load of them off the does back there. A guy brought six dozen eggs to me for hatching. They are leghorns and leghorn crossed with RIR. I still have eggs I need to cram in somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom