Online source for bulk chicken food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nestled Chickens, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm tired of buying 50lb bags of food at the local hobby farm shop. I want to buy a large quantity at once and be done with it. Any good places out there online that deliver?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The shipping would be outrageous for a bulk load online.
    If I was you I would find a Feed Mill near you. ( When I say Feed Mill I don't mean a Feed Store like TSC ).

Chris

3. ncarper

ncarper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    South Central Oklahoma
    Chris09 is right, look for a local feed mill. I would only buy feed from a box store like TSC as a last resort. In Oklahoma where I live feed is considerably less at mill compared to TSC or Orschelns.

4. Moncler088

Moncler088 New Egg

Oct 20, 2010
    We have to go to TSC between tomorrow and Saturday to get a hanging water and hanging feeder for their new coop, so we will get it then.

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    Hi Nestled Chickens - where in the Pacific Northwest are you located? I'm in Olympia and we have a couple feed mills here AND there are some people who deliver chicken feed up and down I-5. I haven't used the feed they're selling though. There are a couple of Feed Mills in this area where you can get lots of supplies and feed for your Ladies...PM me if you need more specific information.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I know a couple of the stores up in WA cater to high end chicken owners and charge an outrageous amount for a 50lb sac of feed. Perhaps you live near one of the chains like Del's or one of the cenex/co-op's?

Online would be super expensive, a feed mill like everyone else is mentioning would be ideal.

7. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Buy local. Pick it up to save on delivery/shipping costs if you can/have the ability to do so. You labor is cheaper than the vendor you purchase from.

8. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm on the Key Peninsula and yes, the closest feed store is Cenex. Islandlife-where do you recommend? Olympia is not too far from us.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe try and ask at the cenex if you can get a bulk discount, depending on how many bags you are buying. Last I got feed, I think it was 14 for a 50lb bag of standard layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by