Only 1 chick :(

millyandthechickens

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
We incubated 8 of our own hens’ eggs and unfortunately only one hatched. Whilst it’s a gift that we now successfully hatched one of our own eggs for the first time, I can’t help feeling sad that this chick will grow up by itself. Are there any ways that we can allow for this chick to not be traumatised by growing up alone? If nobody is near it, the chick is always chirping out loudly. I try to go and hold it now and then but I am a bit busy so can’t do this all the time. Any advice would be muchly appreciated :)

Sorry to hear only 1 made it. Was it the first time incubating? What humidity did you use? Bantams eggs can dry easier. It would really help if you can try to work out what could have been off target during incubation that could have led to a poor hatch.
How old are the hens laying the eggs? Best thing would be to get some more eggs going so in 3 weeks time this one would have some company.

Then you would just need to keep this one single for 3 weeks and that is doable.
Most suggest a cuddly toy and a mirror for company and something to look at.
From my experience you biggest asset will be light. First week they can handle 24 hours of light and just doze off when they want to but if they are alone and it gets dark they will freak out.

After that a schedule of 16-18 hours of light per day is beneficial. It will mean s/he will go to sleep when it gets dark and will grow faster because s/he is up more.

You might think of lighting as the last thing you need but trust me unless you want to hear constant chirping a little light will be the best thing you can give it.

I provided my lone chick a dark box (making sure it was 32 degrees C in first week) for him to sleep in. Rest of the brooder had 24 hours of light. The 3 weeks will pass in no time. He'd only bother me if he got too cold, knocked over his water bowl or ran out of food.

It does need a friend. Try and find it a friend around it’s age. Chicks are social animals and need other chicks (when hatching with an incubator at least) to keep it company. Is there a “farm store” (somewhere that sells chicks) near you? In the meantime try giving it a mirror to try and keep it company. Sometimes even a stuff toy works for a temporary friend.

We incubated 8 of our own hens’ eggs and unfortunately only one hatched. Whilst it’s a gift that we now successfully hatched one of our own eggs for the first time, I can’t help feeling sad that this chick will grow up by itself. Are there any ways that we can allow for this chick to not be traumatised by growing up alone? If nobody is near it, the chick is always chirping out loudly. I try to go and hold it now and then but I am a bit busy so can’t do this all the time. Any advice would be muchly appreciated :)
Thank you all for your replies. I have contacted a few sellers near me and as of now I have received a response from a seller with 5 day old chicks. I was hoping to get one closer in age (2 days old) but if this is the only availability then I'll have to get this. Would one chick be enough to keep it company? Or should I get more?

Thank you all for your replies. I have contacted a few sellers near me and as of now I have received a response from a seller with 5 day old chicks. I was hoping to get one closer in age (2 days old) but if this is the only availability then I'll have to get this. Would one chick be enough to keep it company? Or should I get more?
1 would be enough, though I’d recommend getting 2 to be safe. Also it doesn’t matter if there is only a few days difference between them. The oldest chick often is 1-3 days older then the youngest chick.

1 would be enough, though I’d recommend getting 2 to be safe. Also it doesn’t matter if there is only a few days difference between them. The oldest chick often is 1-3 days older then the youngest chick.
Thank you - I think I’m going to buy the 5 day old chick as I can’t find anywhere else selling any. Im worried if I get two the older ones will bully our little chick, but getting 1 is risking so I don’t know which option is best?

Thank you - I think I’m going to buy the 5 day old chick as I can’t find anywhere else selling any. Im worried if I get two the older ones will bully our little chick, but getting 1 is risking so I don’t know which option is best?
Theyll be ok. They arent that much older. I once had to change out a cockerel and all the chicks got along just fine.

They will be fine. With my first chicks I put the eggs under the hens as they were laid. That meant the oldest was actually 2 weeks older then the youngest. I never had a problem. I also introduced two chicks day old/almost day old chicks to my mama hens when they already had 1, month old chick. It all ended up fine :)

Back
Top Bottom