only 1 chick

steward

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
I recently tried my hand at incubating some of my own hens eggs. I was pretty sure that of the eight that started at least three or four were growing. I tried candling several times but could not see much , all the eggs were either brown or blue. Well, I only hatched 1 chick. It came out perfect so I don't think I had any problems with humidity or turning, but my real question is will 1 chick be really lonely , or will it just be more dependent on it's humans? Thanks.

Your one chick might be pretty lonely and will be very dependent on you. I recall when I was a kid, that I got an Easter chick. It peeped and peeped and peeped cause it was lonely.

Maybe you can search Craigslist and find it another chick...at least one more should make it happy.

yes, I would find it at least 1 friend, if not more.... you'll end up wanting more!
smile.png

BTW , People are going to tell you to put a mirror in there to keep it company. NOT, all my chick did was stand in front of it and peep her brains out! Then people are also going to tell you to put a stuffed animal in there with it to cuddle with. NOT all my chick did was ignore it & look for me. Never even knew it was in there. So, once again, You WILL want to get it a playmate SOON !

When I had one lone chick I tried the mirror and stuffed animal - nothing is the same as having "live" company. My lone chick cried and cried until I got her new friends (and even cried for a while after I put her new friends in).

My lone one was fine when I was holding her, but between my other animals, kids and job that just wasn't feasible.

Back
Top Bottom