Only 1 rooster & 1 hen

Lizard

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Hi! I'm new to the forum and am needing information.

I bought 3 chicks in June. One died and now I'm left with one gorgeous rooster & one hen, both Plymouth Bardrocks.

Henrietta is 6 months old and is old enough to lay eggs. No eggs yet.

Rocky (rooster) is a hunk & knows it! He's quite protective of Henrietta and she tolerates his advances quite well.

Is one rooster too much for only 1 hen? And, if so, how many hens should I get?

Is my hen not yet laying eggs b/c of Rocky's behavior?

If the hen starts going bald, one on one is too much, if he is not too agressive in his advances it could work, usually recommend 6-8hens to 1 roo.
Lots can factor into why hen is not laying, each takes different time frame to start laying, 5-7 months is normal, but amount of light and weather can also factor in to start of laying.

Oh yeah WELCOME to BYC!!

Be carefull asking if you need more on this forum if you follow our advice you will have 80 hens and 10 roos when we get done with you.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Should I get a few more hens will there be fighting amongst them all? Will Henrietta and Rocky simply welcome them into their small flock? (Rocky likely will appreciate a larger harem....)

Never ask a chicken forum if you should get more chickens!
lau.gif

TRUST ME! I lost one chick and ended up with 10 more!

If you have the room for more hens, I say go for it. Integrating chickens is difficult, but most of the time they eventually settle down and everyone has their place in the pecking order.

Welcome to BYC!

My Barred Rock was the last hen to start laying -- I also got mine in June and she just started a couple weeks ago. I've been giving mine a couple hours of extra light, so that might help.

Welcome!

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem that is driving me crazy.I have only one hen and one roo and they are both about a year old.I keep them inside as pets.My rooster is driving me crazy,cause he now crows all day long.He will crow at least 45 minutes of every hour.I don't know what the problem is.The only time he is quiet is at night when I cover the cage and close the curtains.
The other problem is now when I do that,the hen is trying to crow half the night long.She doesn't sond very good,but she try's.What am doing wrong?I would love to get more hens,but the few people I have talked to will not ship me chicks to western new york.
OH I FORGOT : the hen is a grey silkie(her neck and wings are turning partridge in color),and the roo is a beautiful oil slick, black silkie.
They are my first two chickens,Please help.......

Nothing is wrong with your rooster, they just do that.

An option for getting more hens would be buying hatching eggs and incubate them.

In spring most feed stores sell chicks.

Many hatcheries will ship to you.

Quote:
Be carefull asking if you need more on this forum if you follow our advice you will have 80 hens and 10 roos when we get done with you.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

You need 9 more hens!

Hi Red or anyone who can help,
I was wondering how to tell if I actually have two roos?Fred (the black) attacks me all the time and the grey attacks him when he attacks me.Their necks like both flare up,which makes me wonder if the grey might just be younger and now maturing.I really dont know much about chickens yet,but I really want to raise a bunch of them.The grey is sooooooooooo wonderful.It lays next to me,and lets me pet it,but the black bites every time.
I dont know how to tell the difference,although the woman I got them from said they were male and female.She didn't know anything about chickens,as she got them for her mother who couldn't mix them with her others,because of fighting.
I feel so dumb,but I really want to learn.....
Please help....

Back
Top Bottom