ONLY 3 is now 16 !!!!

nelgkel

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
FL
Ok, I have blamed BYC and chicken math, told my hubby he needs to learn chicken math! lol
he said no more than 3!!! well we wanted 3 and neighbor wanted 3 we are co-cooping...I do the labor and care of the coop/run and they get the food...well after researching I approached my hubby and said we need AT LEAST 6 chickens for our family in order to get enough eggs every week! Well we got 6 and neighbor got 6....well one was a rooster so neighbor replace "him" with 2 girls...and well since I was there....I wanted some colored eggs...so I got an Americauna...

Well she is getting picked on a lot cause she is smaller...went back this morning to get a larger one and instead I decided to keep her and ADD 2 more from her old flock!! So I got 3 Americaunas!!

SOOOOO Our 3 is NOW 16!!!

hubby says I am plain nuts!! and if I could I would have WAY more and a goat!!

I did the very same thing. Hubby told me no more than 6, as that would be plenty for our family. Well, my friend who lives right down the road wanted to co-coop and since I have 10 acres, I figured, why not. So she got six.
love.gif

After that, I found someone who was giving away EE roos that were 26 weeks old. Just had to have one! So I came home with 2!

Then I found an ad for 2 breeding pairs of Black-Tailed White Japanese Bantams. They were so cute, I couldn't resist...so there is 4 more chickens.

Later down the road, I found someone who was thinning out her 2 year old Barred Rock flock....just had to have one of those!

Then my friend and I decided that we wanted to add some more color to this flock so we purchased some EE chicks, BO chicks, and a BR chick. So now we have 8 more.

I then found an ad for BBS Silkie chicks, so I had every intention of getting just one. She had 3 left, so they all came home with me.

In the process of all of this running around, my BR went broody on 12 eggs (due June 4th) and my Bantams have gone broody on 15 (due June 12th). Plus, I am getting a surprise shipment of turkeys, ducks, guineas and chicks around my birthday the middle of June.

So, if you add all of that up, and the maximum guesstimate for my surprise shipment, I will have a total of 100 birds!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I think you are doing very well at chicken math! BTW, all of this running around started out with my first chicks in February of this year.
smile.png
I didn't own a chicken before then. LOL! I'm just a bit addicted.

I love chicken Math...no matter what the number adds up to be there is always room for one...two....awww shoot there is always room for MORE!!

Quote:
WOW!! 10 acres! I would love to have that space.. I would have WAY more chickens too!!

Hubby limited our numbers because of space issues! I sure hope they don't make a lot of noise when they start laying..

ya'll make me laugh with your chicken math!!

We started out thinking 4 would be enough for the family, but there is a 6 chick minimum in our state. We ended up getting 7. One was a roo, rehomed.
I ended up losing 3 to a predator, reinforced and completely enclosed the run.

Got 8 more.. (so up to 11)

Then had one go broody..
got 6 more chicks for her.
So have 17 right now - 3 nine month old pullets (2 EE's one Australorpe).
8 six week old chicks (2 wellies, 6 marans, one is a roo and will need rehoming)
6 one week old EE chicks.

We only have 1/4 acre...

Back
Top Bottom