ONLY 3 is now 16 !!!!

I was only going to have Guinea Fowl for pest control turned into 5 Guineas and over 20 pullets. They never taught Chicken Math in school. DH has been wonderful with the whole thing, even building a 10x12 coop while I have a broken foot.

Gotta love that chicken math... we started with 3 (as a 4H project for the kids last summer)... well 2 were roos... so they were rehomed, left us with one lonely little bantam polish... so I ordered 5 sexed silkies from MPC... that gave us 6 and I was supposed to find homes for 3... well one turned out to be roo and one passed due to failure to thrive... that took us down to 4... so this year I wanted to get 2 more to get back up to 6 (though I'm only "allowed" 3 by DH) so I got 12 hatching eggs... 4 hatched and now I have 8.

(shhhhhh... have 4 white polish under my broody silkie at the moment)...
hide.gif

I JUST LOVE CHICKEN MATH!!!!!

My DH did not want any chickens. However, he built all the huts and has been very supportive.

Recently he was sitting on the front porch looking over the field in front of the house (2.81 acres currently in corn) and said "you know, we could plant it all to grass and alfalfa and pasture chickens there"

ep.gif

We will have very happy chickens. But I don't know if he realizes what that will do to the Chicken Math.

Quote:
I wont say anything about the eggs you have in the bator for me
wink.png

But yes Chicken math struck me too!
i went to the store to 3 or 4...came home with 7...one passed that night so I went back to get a replacement...well ya cant bring the chick home alone! They need travel buddies!
So that took me up to 9...Then I went to ChickenStock, with a want for a Cochin. And I only took a SMALL box so I couldnt come home with to many. Yeah that didnt work! First stop two more chicks, then I was was two more at the next stop. Well I still didnt have my cochin...so now Im up to 5 new chicks at chickenstock...
Well Buugette won the incubator
th.gif
and that MADE me want to hatch eggs. So I entered the egg auction. Low bids just to see. Yeah won 3 out of the 4 I entered...
celebrate.gif
so that was like 20+ eggs
hu.gif

Buugette won a chick in the raffle, so I gladly took it off her hands for her, well yeah raffle wasnt over! I "won" 3 more!!
ep.gif

so my nine became 18 and my 18 will become...
pop.gif

Yeah I have it bad!
jumpy.gif

I started out with the intention of getting 5 like my aunt. Went to a swap and came home with 4 four week old BOs. But the 1 week old chicks looked so cute and were so small, so i got 5 of those.
Sadly lost 3 in a freak dog accident. Next weekend sent DH to another swap with the request to get two. He came home with 5. Now we have 11. But 12 seems like such a nice number....
tongue2.gif

Soooo, this Saturday is another swap - I really want to go just to meet people now that I have been on here for a while. The problem is will I be able to resist. One more would be nice. But two?

Seems like chicks are like chips - you cant have just one!

Quote:
I wont say anything about the eggs you have in the bator for me
wink.png

But yes Chicken math struck me too!
i went to the store to 3 or 4...came home with 7...one passed that night so I went back to get a replacement...well ya cant bring the chick home alone! They need travel buddies!
So that took me up to 9...Then I went to ChickenStock, with a want for a Cochin. And I only took a SMALL box so I couldnt come home with to many. Yeah that didnt work! First stop two more chicks, then I was was two more at the next stop. Well I still didnt have my cochin...so now Im up to 5 new chicks at chickenstock...
Well Buugette won the incubator
th.gif
and that MADE me want to hatch eggs. So I entered the egg auction. Low bids just to see. Yeah won 3 out of the 4 I entered...
celebrate.gif
so that was like 20+ eggs
hu.gif

Buugette won a chick in the raffle, so I gladly took it off her hands for her, well yeah raffle wasnt over! I "won" 3 more!!
ep.gif

so my nine became 18 and my 18 will become...
pop.gif

Yeah I have it bad!
jumpy.gif

HA>>> 20+ in the bator... try 31 in the bator... see... its that CHICKEN MATH>>>

I want to know how you talked your hubby into a goat. The chicken math thing I have down pat but there has been staunch resistance to the goat thing. I wonder if he would believe that it will make the chickens lay more eggs?

Chicken math, now that is a new one. I thought it was just me that couldn't figure out how I went from 10 to 35. This weekend I am hoping to let the new kids meet the old kids and see how that goes. Mine free range all day with the goats so they have plenty of room to leave each other alone. I just hope they do.

BTW, Goat math works the same as chicken math. Started with 3 does. Had them bred, got 3 more does. Bought a buck and a wether to keep him company, now have 6 new kids, 3 of which are does. Do you see where this is going? I was going to sell all but one doe, they are registered dairy goats so I figured I would be able to find homes for them. DH says we need the dirty dozen. I think he is an enabler.
smile.png
But those kids are sooooo darn CUTE.

shhhhhhh hubby doesn't know what's in the incubator ...... ummmm neither does he know we are trying to find some fuzzy chickens and some wispy chickens for the kids!!!!! aka (frizzle=fuzzy silkie=wispy in kiddo language)

Back
Top Bottom