Only 60% of my flock is laying

britt_brat

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2019
Northwest Florida
Hello all, I'm new to raising chickens, so I'm still learning as I'm going.
I have 10 chickens total. I've got 6 Novogens, 3 Isa Browns, and 1 Sliver Laced Wyndatte.
I'm do not know which 6 are laying, but I'm pretty sure it is the novogens. The wyndatte is roughly 2-4 weeks younger than the other 9. I got my first egg on Sept. 4th, a second on the 6th, and been getting 6 eggs regularly since the 12th. Am I just being impatient? Will the others start to lay soon, or should I be worried that there is something wrong with them?

The eggs I'm currently getting have good strong shells, and are beautifully brown.

I have a couple questions:

What are Novagens? I know it’s just a hatchery name for the birds, but what do they look like?

How old are the birds? The ISA browns are likely to lay sooner, but that will depend on the genetics of the Novagens. Silver laced Wyandottes tend to mature slower.

Am I just being impatient?
Yep! ;)

should I be worried that there is something wrong with them?
Nope.

Here's some ways to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @britt_brat
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-22_8-8-1.png

Impatient ? Yes. Different breeds and even different birds of the same breed mature at varying times. Nothing is wrong with your birds. Enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom