Only black silkies sick and dying

jnlo3000

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 9, 2013
So as many know, I have not had much luck with my black silkies lately. I have had 5 now die. Symptoms have all been generally the same. Swollen eyes with cottage cheese like substance coming out of their eyes, listless, sometimes sneezing, watery eyes and noses. Generally by the time I notice they are sick they die within a day or so. The first 3 I separated and treated for about a week and seem to get better only to have them die a few days after reintroducing them to the flock. The last two died within 24 hours of finding them sick. All the other birds (white silkies and a variety of other breeds RIR, NHR, Austrolops, Brahmas, Americaunas, Leghorns, Wyndottes etc) show no signs of illness nor have any of the others gotten sick. I am beginning to wonder if this is something these birds already are carrying or if there is something specific to black silkies.
I got two batches from two different farms but they were all roughly the same age when I got them around 20-25 weeks of age.
We integrated slowly when we got them and they showed no signs of illness when we got them. It's just been in the past 6 weeks or so they have started to die off.
Gratefully the rest of the flock is doing just fine.

Thanks for the info. It's so odd that it is only the black silkies. I have had no issues with anyone else at all. Very frustrating. The last few that have died did so quickly. Little to no symptoms at all. By the time there eyes start bubbling they are dead within hours. I have been watching the others very closely and no one else is sick. Very strange.

Back
Top Bottom