Only feathers and no chicken

Jennygirl76

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Canterbury, CT
This morning I went out to my coop and found a huge amount of feathers, and one less chicken. The feathers were only in the coop, but not one feather in the fenced in pen. Our coop is surrounded by chicken wire, stone wall, and has a netting over the top. There were no traces of blood anywhere. We looked all around the yard and found not one trace of the chicken. There are no visable holes under the fence or damage done. We have never had anything missing before and can't figure out what could have done this, any help would be great. We live in Southeastern Ct, and have seen skunks, a possum, and a rat in our yard at night.

Quote:
I can sympathize with you although I have no answer for you.
hmm.png
I live in Northern Connecticut and am currently engaged in a battle with a raccoon who killed one of our babies 3 nights ago. I only know it was a raccoon b/c I SAW him (my husband heard something at 2am and we investigated). Sounds strange to me that there were no feathers in the run. Do you have a picture of the coop and run area? That might lend some clues.

I hope you find an answer to this unfortunate mystery. Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

I could maybe see a racoon or weasel doing this, but how could it get the chicken out without any traces of blood or getting any feathers anywhere else? The inside of the coop looked like the chicken exploded, there were feathers EVERYWHERE.
But, outside there little door there was nothing.

The racoon attacked ur chicken, ur chicken put up a fight but the raccoon took it by the neck and sprinted away,

We figured that out today. We found a very small hole dug under the fence with a few feathers on the other side. We will be fixing the automatic chicken door very soon. It was hit by lightening a month ago, and have been lucky up until now.
Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear you found the point of entry for your chicken killer. We trapped the raccoon that killed our chick this week. He won't be causing us any more trouble.

Back
Top Bottom