1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

only half my hens are laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mk3luke, May 24, 2011.

1. mk3luke

mk3luke New Egg

May 24, 2011
    hello lads new hear so sorry if this is in the wrong place
    but i have around 25 hens. and i am only getting 13eggs a day. all the hens are the same age all the same bread(there road islands reds) that are not laying ther around 13months old.
    they are all in the same pen and are being fed layers pellets and getting plently of water and straw to nest on
    can any body help me please:)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can try to up their protein. Most pellets are around 16%. Try a Flock Raiser product that generally is available in 20-24% protein.
    You'll have to provide shells on the side, as Flock Raiser does not have enough calcium for a hen's diet included. Many, many flock keepers here love the Raiser.
    Nothing is certain, but that is your best bet. Over crowding, mites, worms and other issues should also be addressed as they too can effect lay rate.

3. mk3luke

mk3luke New Egg

May 24, 2011
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]
    i think that mught be my problem as a few weeks ago my sisters dog killed 10 of my hens just out side of the pen and some in side of the pen. every day i go out i notice that there are always eggs broke or pecked at.
    so i will try to feed them bread ever day when i go out to get them used to me and i will see what i can do after that;l

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by