Only have grower for 3 week old chicks

texasmomma

Songster
Apr 5, 2010
TX
I have three week old chicks and am just about out of chick starter. I am using H and H poultry organic starter. I bought Cascade/Magill Ranch grower for my pullets. The difference is that the starter has 19% protein and the grower has 16% protein. What can I give my chicks to make up the difference in protein?

I have one chick that is teeny for her size and don't want her to lose on any nutrition. I don't think that I will be able to use up another bag of starter in 6 weeks for these chicks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Supplement with some scrambled eggs for added protein. You could also go buy some crumbles of a high protein feed and blend it with your Grower. Some All Flock products are around 20% and some game bird growers are 24% protein. These could be used to produce a nice blend for your chicks. The mixed feed wouldn't be wasted, as it could be fed to any bird, at any age.

Another bag of starter wouldn't hurt a thing either.

Last edited:
I would be careful the grower is not to big for the chicks to eat or swallow. If you can get another bag of starter and just use it up regardless of age, or better yet mix it with the grower when old enough. I have heard to leave them on starter for the first month to 6 weeks so they would probably be fine. If if whwer me I would get another bag of starter just to be safe but that's me. Good luck .

One of the things I hate about the starter is that it is so messy. LOL All of the feed from H and H is messy, but the Cascade is better. There is a local source for feed, but it is VERY expensive compared to what I am currently paying. Weird that shipping 50 pounds costs less, but there it is. The local feed also has soy and corn and I'm not really wanting to feed soy, especially.

I may just buy a bag of starter and feed it, then mix with the grower when the chicks are old enough to eat it. I think they could eat the grower if I soaked it.

Back
Top Bottom