ONLY hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ericschickens, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ericschickens

ericschickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    My dad thinks, that if I get hens I HAVE to get a rooster! But I live in L.A. Which lets me a have A rooster! But I only wants hens! What's so bad about only having hens! He thinks they'll be bored! But I want a flock (6) for eggs and pets! Not chicks :/

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG] There's really no need for a rooster if all you want is to eat eggs. There are pros and cons to having a rooster, but if you don't want one, you certainly don't have to have one for your hens to be happy.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Trust me, they won't be bored! Hens live just fine in an all female flock, and for new chicken owners a rooster isn't always a good thing. Get your hens, give your dad some eggs and do what you want.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens don't mind if there is no rooster. It is not at all an annoyance to NOT be pestered by a sex crazed male all day long. Especially vigorous roosters will tear a hens back bald with his...... endeavors. They will lay just fine without one, and fertilized and unfertilized eggs are nutritionally the same. A rooster is only NEEDED if you want your eggs fertile for hatching. They are good flock protectors, but a vigilant owner doesn't need one. Roosters can also become aggressive and dangerous, not always, but they are often not well suited for being a pet like a hen.

5. New Chicken Lad

New Chicken Lad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Northern New Jersey
    silly dad... all men think women need a man... not female chickens!!! they don't need a rooster to lay eggs... [​IMG]Helen

1 person likes this.
  6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I agree with former posts, and add that 6 hens is likely not enough for a active Roo. I have processed roos that were overmating 10-12 hens. About 2/3 of my roos get a ticket to freezer camp for bad behavour to the girls, or me, or too much noise.

7. ericschickens

ericschickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks fr the feedback!!!

-Eric and his chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by