ONLY hens

ericschickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
My dad thinks, that if I get hens I HAVE to get a rooster! But I live in L.A. Which lets me a have A rooster! But I only wants hens! What's so bad about only having hens! He thinks they'll be bored! But I want a flock (6) for eggs and pets! Not chicks :/

silly dad... all men think women need a man... not female chickens!!! they don't need a rooster to lay eggs...
gig.gif
Helen

welcome-byc.gif
There's really no need for a rooster if all you want is to eat eggs. There are pros and cons to having a rooster, but if you don't want one, you certainly don't have to have one for your hens to be happy.

Trust me, they won't be bored! Hens live just fine in an all female flock, and for new chicken owners a rooster isn't always a good thing. Get your hens, give your dad some eggs and do what you want.

Hens don't mind if there is no rooster. It is not at all an annoyance to NOT be pestered by a sex crazed male all day long. Especially vigorous roosters will tear a hens back bald with his...... endeavors. They will lay just fine without one, and fertilized and unfertilized eggs are nutritionally the same. A rooster is only NEEDED if you want your eggs fertile for hatching. They are good flock protectors, but a vigilant owner doesn't need one. Roosters can also become aggressive and dangerous, not always, but they are often not well suited for being a pet like a hen.

I agree with former posts, and add that 6 hens is likely not enough for a active Roo. I have processed roos that were overmating 10-12 hens. About 2/3 of my roos get a ticket to freezer camp for bad behavour to the girls, or me, or too much noise.

Back
Top Bottom