Only one chick hatched...

peterschick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Hi there - new to this incubator thing. (When I was little and we had chickens - we just let the hens do their thing when it came to hatching chicks.)

We just got some chickens for the first time this fall and attempted hatching a few eggs that unexpectedly showed up in our hen house...

Only 2 pipped, and one chick didn't make it out
sad.png
The other one is doing great so far (it's been a day - I just put it in the brooder).
Was wondering about imprinting and socialization...
Should we bring one of our hens in to give it some company/imprint?

Ahhhh, poor chick when we hatched ducks only one hatched and she grew up to be a real sweetie. As far as I know chickens don't imprint but as far as socialization whenever we only have one that hatches we usually go get it a buddy from Tractor Supply Co. or another place. If you have a broody hen sneak the chick under her or if you don't have a broody one see if a friendly hen will adapt her. Make sure you watch to see if the other chickens are picking on the baby.

Thanks - yes, was thinking of bringing the broody hen inside to stay with the chick inside the brooder - since it is supposed to get to 10 degrees tonight!

You may be right about the imprint... the chick was chirping alot - so I put my hand in the brooder and it jumped on and snuggled in... awwww....
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom