Only one chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3 NH reds, Jan 5, 2013.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I got a new incubator the hovva bator 1588 and wanted to try it out. I could only get 6 eggs over ten days. Of this only one has hatched and it will probably stay like this. Is it OK to raise one alone? Do they need socialization? I also wondered about bringing in my broody to see if she would take to it but I wonder if she would hurt it. Option 2 is gather more eggs and try again.

2. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    i think maybe u should try to raise it with other chicken cause when it grow up it won't know what todo how to run or eat.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can try the chick under the broody if you stay around and watch closely, so that it doesn't get pecked to death. Make sure the chick is in a pen with the broody. Some people report putting the chick under the broody at night, but it's hard to watch then. The chick can be raised alone but it will be lonely. Maybe someone in your area has another chick available for sale.

4. CaCO3

CaCO3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Hartford County, CT
    Advice? I have (accidentally) ended up with a staggered hatch and need advice. 1 lone chick hatching from a first batch of eggs. There are another 3 due to hatch in a few days, currently under a broody silkie. Will the single chick be ok by itself for a few days, or should I try moving her in the nest with the broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by