Only One Duckling Hatched

Brittanyyy

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
Hi there!
I am a preschool teacher and this is my second time hatching duck eggs. Last time I got six baby ducks! This time I only incubated 5 eggs as the person taking the ducks after they hatched only wanted 3.
Long story short we only had two duck eggs after the 28 days that we were hoping to hatch. I had one hatch this morning (Pip is his name) and the other egg had a crack in it this morning. When going home at the end of the day the egg didn’t look like it made any progress.
I have Pip with me now at home with a feather duster and mirror. I have him in a clear box and am sleeping on the floor next to it so he can see me.
Is there anything else I should be doing so he doesn’t feel too lonely? I am hoping his brother or sister (Squeak) will hatch tomorrow and he will have a companion.
Should I be concerned about the other egg not making any progress? If the egg doesn’t end up hatching I will be looking for ducklings for sale near me so Pip will have a friend. Thanks in advance!

First of all I love the name! I named one of my chicks Pip too ;) I gave one of my chicks a stuffed animal to help with loneliness. The mirror is great though. The other chick will probably hatch soon, hatching takes time it’s a tiring thing to do! It’s allowed to take quite a bit of time before you should intervene. Good luck!

Our second duck hatched today! I did have to help him last night by pulling his head out a bit. I only did this once I saw no blood vessels and he is doing great!
So glad that Pip has a friend. Here’s a picture!

Attachments

• EA03E086-F874-49F4-A5A3-56C310E9B44A.jpeg
    EA03E086-F874-49F4-A5A3-56C310E9B44A.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 78
At my work a monther laid eggs in one of our tall grasses on an island in the parking lot. We had alot of work going on 2 days ago and I did see one baby but then the next day the mother and baby are gone. Still have 3 eggs in the nest and we havent seen her in 2 days.. Any suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom