Only one hatched

Mpracey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 18, 2011
Denham Springs Louisiana
I had some eggs in incubator and only one hatched. The poor little thing peeps all the time while awake. It's eating and drinking. When I pick it up and hold it and it settles down. I think it's lonely. I was planning on giving it to the hen. How old should it be before I try. It is 2 days old. Not sure she'll accept it, this is her first chick. Thanks

YES she could be lonely or afraid. Try putting a fuzzy stuff toy in there that she can get under like a chick under a mommy hen.

Also, chick and make sure her heat is sufficient... if she is too cold or too hot she will chirp.

Next, GET her another friend. Check out the local feed stores or local breeders. Look on craigslist, if you don't see anyone on BYC in your area. Find someone with chicks the same age as yours. The closer to the same age, the better.

If the mommy hen is going to accept it, the younger the better. I have not had great success getting first time mommies to take on babies they have not hatched, so I am not going to offer any advice on this topic
wink.png

Is she broody on eggs or laying and you just want to give it to her? It's best if she is broody and sneak the baby chick under her at night so that she won't notice so in the morning she will think she hatched out a chick then her mother instinct should kick in and take care of the chick, but if she is a new mother she probably won't know what to do and just leave the chick all cold and alone. But can't hurt to try, just make sure to check on her in the morning to make sure everything is okay. If she does reject the chick you can put a feather duster with it or a stuff animal to keep it company. I know some one here did that but can't remember who. As for age now would be good as the chick isn't too old so she will think it's her baby. Good luck and update us
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577586/feather-duster-buddy-for-lonely-chick-pics

excuse me sorry not someone several has tried it

Last edited:
Thanks for advice. I'm gonna try tomorrow its gonna be warm. The baby can go in and our from under one of those brinsea eco glow chick brooder so probably ok temp. I found a cat toy with feathers so I put it in with baby. Hen isn't broody she just lays eggs and leaves them. And she is a Silkie! I don't know if this will work. Cross your fingers!. Thanks again

Sorry for your loss, may your next hatch have more than one so they won't be lonely. Best of luck
wink.png
on your next hatch

Back
Top Bottom