Only one of my duck eggs hatched, can I keep him alone while I try to hatch another batch or is that too long for him to be solo?

Only one of my duck eggs hatched, can I keep him alone while I try to hatch another batch or is that too long for him to be solo?
That’s a long time for him to be alone
Are you able to buy a single duckling from around you somewhere
Often they get very needy and sad being alone
You can try a mirror and a stuffy for a Few days but would be best if you can find one around the same age
That way you won’t have to be with it 24/7

I'm sorry only one hatched! It's a difficult situation when you have a lone duckling.
It's a long time for him to be alone- can you buy a duckling locally so that he wont be alone while you wait on your next batch?
For now, as new duck mommy says, a mirror and perhaps a teddy can help with loneliness- but it doesn't replace real companionship long term

Thank you, that's pretty much what I thought. I'm looking for someone to sell me a lone or maybe two ducklings. Hopefully the woman I got the eggs from. Does it need to be really really close in age to keep company? Like how far apart would you say the max to be that I should strive for?

Thank you, that's pretty much what I thought. I'm looking for someone to sell me a lone or maybe two ducklings. Hopefully the woman I got the eggs from. Does it need to be really really close in age to keep company? Like how far apart would you say the max to be that I should strive for?
For as little as they are starting our and as fast as they grow I’d say no more than +2 weeks (*maybe* 3 but that’s really a stretch). If it was a slightly older duckling that needed a companion it wouldn’t be as she restrictive. But you don’t want the new one trampling the baby

I would stick to a week or less
I had eggs in my bator and then mom went broody. The eggs were 2 weeks apart
Mom was a great broody but didn’t want her baby so I tried to put it with the others and the one took it by the beak and threw it
I kept them in separate pens beside each other until the baby was 3 weeks and the older one were 5
They were fine at that point

I would stick to a week or less
I had eggs in my bator and then mom went broody. The eggs were 2 weeks apart
Mom was a great broody but didn’t want her baby so I tried to put it with the others and the one took it by the beak and threw it
I kept them in separate pens beside each other until the baby was 3 weeks and the older one were 5
They were fine at that point
I second this, a week or less is a good guideline.
My first was 4 days old when she met her baby sister, and they were fine, though my first was *very* confused by the new arrival for the first day.

Back
Top Bottom