Only one see-through egg.

Lucy Brown

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Orange, California
I am incubating 16 quail eggs but when I candled them on day 4,( I was curious to see if they were actually working), I could see through only one,(I saw the embryo and blood vessels), but the rest I could not see through. Does anybody have this problem seeing through quail eggs? How can you tell if the eggs are developing?

I am incubating 16 quail eggs but when I candled them on day 4,( I was curious to see if they were actually working), I could see through only one,(I saw the embryo and blood vessels), but the rest I could not see through. Does anybody have this problem seeing through quail eggs? How can you tell if the eggs are developing?
Day 4 should be too early anyways, wait till day 7 or 10 for quail.

However, I couldn't see veins in a single one of my eggs (just too hard/dark - especially for a noob like me). So I just removed the obvious "lightbulbs".

Is there another way i can check if it is alive or not?
Don't think so, but it is too early for candling quail eggs.

That's perfectly normal for quail eggs. You need a very bright light to see into them. I go by if they are getting dark inside. If the light shines through (at 10 days+) they are likely not developing - if it doesn't they are developing as they should. I might glimpse 'the spider' at the very beginning, but after that I don't bother as it's just too hard to see around all those beautiful blotches.

That's perfectly normal for quail eggs. You need a very bright light to see into them. I go by if they are getting dark inside. If the light shines through (at 10 days+) they are likely not developing - if it doesn't they are developing as they should. I might glimpse 'the spider' at the very beginning, but after that I don't bother as it's just too hard to see around all those beautiful blotches.
Thank you but I have a hard time telling the difference between the yolk and the embryo. 13 of the eggs are pretty dark inside on one side but one of them was clear, and two of them I couldn't tell because the bright light wouldn't go through them at all. XD

Back
Top Bottom