Only One Survived... Until This Morning

Pics
Here is part of am email I received from MPC a couple of days ago, but just read tonight:

"I wanted to reach out to you because Bambi let me know about your high losses on this order and thought I might be able to help. I understand that you were given some information over the phone about not shipping bantam and standard breeds together, however I want to reassure you that there is no increased risk in doing so. My Pet Chicken is extremely cognizant regarding the safety of animals we ship - we are not just a business but a family of dedicated poultry enthusiasts ourselves. While personal opinions vary on the subject, we have not seen any risk to bantams when shipped with standard breeds.What we do see with bantams is that they are much more susceptible to temperature than standard breeds. If brooding chicks in a garage or barn, bantams seldom fare well because there are temperature changes that can't be corrected automatically using normal heat sources. If chicks are slightly too cool or too hot they tend to huddle, either under the heat source or at the edges of the brooder. Bantams almost always end up at the bottom of the pile and this can cause losses since a chickens lungs are in their back and do not do well with pressure from being sat upon. Bantams usually do better in a climate controlled location.

I myself have often ordered bantams with my standard chicks. When I brooded them in my garage I lost quite a few of the bantams when temperatures got cool one night. I also found they struggled with being too hot during the day, while too cool at night. If you are still seeing weak chicks or losses, you will want to double check the brooder since losses from shipping usually occur very soon after arrival."

Sounds like they are blaming me for not knowing how to care for chicks properly. Not sure how that works when they were dead in the box upon arrival....

Don't know how I feel. Angry? Sad? Even more guilty? Idk...

I'd be so sad too if I were to open a box of baby chicks to find so many dead!! Shame on that seller - something was done wrong. I get all of my chicks locally, even tho' I cannot sometimes find the kind I really want! They all soon become family and their breed becomes a moot issue!! ;-)

I'd be so sad too if I were to open a box of baby chicks to find so many dead!! Shame on that seller - something was done wrong. I get all of my chicks locally, even tho' I cannot sometimes find the kind I really want! They all soon become family and their breed becomes a moot issue!! ;-)
I will get mine locally from now on.

Hindsight is a real b****.

Sounds like they are blaming me for not knowing how to care for chicks properly. Not sure how that works when they were dead in the box upon arrival....

Don't know how I feel. Angry? Sad? Even more guilty? Idk...

I would write them right back and clarify: "The chicks were dead in the box upon receiving them from the post office. I only received one that was alive, and it died shortly thereafter".

I think that's all that needs to be said. MPC needs to know that you got a box of dead chicks...not ones that were alive.

Back
Top Bottom