Only One Survived... Until This Morning

Pics

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
So, I ordered chicks from my pet chicken. I ordered three silkies. My friend ordered 12 large fowl chicks. We went in on the order together so that we could save on shipping. They arrived this morning, and only one of my silky survived. And she's not doing well. I gave her Nutri drench and water. But I'm not feeling too hopeful. Now I have a problem. I have one silky. I can't order more because the only ship eight. I can't have eight. I ordered from my pet chicken because they were the only ones who could sell sex silkies. What should I do? I'm thinking that if this little one lives, I need to find her a new home. I only have one silky in my flock instead of 3. I'm devastated. I waited over 6 months for these chicks.

What should I do?

Sorry for the weird typing. I'm doing voice to text. Please forgive any errors.

Thank you. I am so sad. They were so tiny and cute, and one of the two was a hatchery choice, and it was a Polish bantam. One of my dream breeds.

I will check out the FB groups. I don't do FB, but I will for this. Great suggestions!
PLEASE contact My Pet Chicken about this! They should be able to help you replace these poor babies. You waited 6 months and paid good money for your silkies, let them know that. Good luck and please keep us posted.

EDIT: Not sure how you feel about it, but you could keep her as a house chickie and keep her with you; silkies do well as house pets! They even sell diapers for them.

EDIT 2: Do you have any feed stores in your area, a small business one or a Tractor Supply or Murdoch's? You might contact them and ask if/when they have silkies coming in. But first thing first, call MPC and ask for replacement chicks!

Last edited:
:hit

And I keep thinking they'd be alive if I hadn't ordered them. I was greedy and selfish, and now they are dead.

No, no, NO! You're not to blame here! Some of these hatchery factories treat chicks like they're produce while others report wonderful experiences! You are not to blame for their negligence!!! The fact that you care so much about the one surviving is evidence of how much you invest into those babies and its not your fault that they weren't competent! :hugs

Here they are. I'm carrying them in the hood of an old hoodie.
20190613_125538.jpg

Not sure about names for the other two. I'm thinking Violet for the black chick and Picotee for the silver (Picotee is when flowers' petals are laced, so it seems appropriate even though it's unusual for a name).

Attachments

• 20190613_124519.jpg
    20190613_124519.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 3
That's awful. I'd be upset and frustrated and disappointed too. Are there any local Facebook groups for chicken keepers in your area? There's a group near me that seems to often have farmers or others local with young chicks to sell. Or a local hatchery that you could drive to to buy a couple more?

Here's a FB group "Backyard Chickens of Sacramento": https://www.facebook.com/Backyard-Chickens-of-Sacramento-579623312050955/?__tn__=,d,P-R&eid=ARAAR4ovXvIYxagx_Bf0ktmAwDeh9jcW09gE0UeGEy6kGYS0NlJd6WcFAR5zpo088YeHZ8fqJA7YhInx

Also near you: https://www.silkiedownfarm.com/

I'm a backyard chicken keeper too - totally understand not being able to have more than a few chickens. My ordinance only allows me to have 6.

Last edited:
You are awesome, everyone. Thank you. I feel somewhat better. I know I didn't do anything wrong, but you know how it is. Sometimes the brain and the heart disagree.

I am headed to the feed store right now (leaving work early) to get more chicks. I may end up with roos, but at least my one weird bantam won't be so weird as she's growing up.

I named her Thistle.

My mom went to check on her and said she seems to be doing well. She is drinking and peeping and walking around. She was just laying there this morning, so I am hoping she'll pull through.
:fl:fl:fl:fl

That's awful. I'd be upset and frustrated and disappointed too. Are there any local Facebook groups for chicken keepers in your area? There's a group near me that seems to often have farmers or others local with young chicks to sell. Or a local hatchery that you could drive to to buy a couple more?

Here's a FB group "Backyard Chickens of Sacramento": https://www.facebook.com/Backyard-Chickens-of-Sacramento-579623312050955/?__tn__=,d,P-R&eid=ARAAR4ovXvIYxagx_Bf0ktmAwDeh9jcW09gE0UeGEy6kGYS0NlJd6WcFAR5zpo088YeHZ8fqJA7YhInx

I'm a backyard chicken keeper too - totally understand not being able to have more than a few chickens. My ordinance only allows me to have 6.
Thank you. I am so sad. They were so tiny and cute, and one of the two was a hatchery choice, and it was a Polish bantam. One of my dream breeds.

I will check out the FB groups. I don't do FB, but I will for this. Great suggestions!

PLEASE contact My Pet Chicken about this! They should be able to help you replace these poor babies. You waited 6 months and paid good money for your silkies, let them know that. Good luck and please keep us posted.

EDIT: Not sure how you feel about it, but you could keep her as a house chickie and keep her with you; silkies do well as house pets! They even sell diapers for them.

EDIT 2: Do you have any feed stores in your area, a small business one or a Tractor Supply or Murdoch's? You might contact them and ask if/when they have silkies coming in. But first thing first, call MPC and ask for replacement chicks!
This is exactly my thought process.

She might be fine as a house chicken. I will have to see how my dog and cats do. My dog has been great with my other chickens, but she tends to go a little wacky when chicks are around. I have an 8 week old chick with a mama hen who she doesn't bother anymore. It's just when they are tiny. And my one cat couldn't care less. The other, however, is a mouser. He might be problematic.

There is a feed store locally, and they have silkies right now! I will have to take my chances that I get a cockerel, though. I will get 2 more today. Or I will get 2 other bantams. That way, I have a better chance of getting at least 1 pullet. I can rehome a roo if I absolutely have to. I have a couple of coworkers who have ranches and will accept roos.

MPC won't ship out fewer because of the mortality rate. More bantams = more heat and better survival rates. I will NOT order from a hatchery out of CA ever again. No breed is worth the sadness. They were sooo tiny and cute. I had already named them....
:hit

And I keep thinking they'd be alive if I hadn't ordered them. I was greedy and selfish, and now they are dead.

Back
Top Bottom