Only showgirls die!

6 littleHens

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2012
Chillicothe, Ohio
SO I've been raising showgirls for about a year and a half and it seems I have a lot of showgirl deaths and little silkie deaths! I have one of 5 from my original left. I have had several several chick deaths since getting the original. I bought two beautiful blue cockrels at 6 months old last october. They seemed healthy except had to treat for bugs. They were both gone by January so I hatched their eggs and 6 hatched. In the mean time one of my hens died. Now, I have a little three month old pullet with same neuro symptoms. Looks like meriks with paralysis but thinking this is only a showgirl thing at this point. I have not lost a silkie with these symptoms. I do have a silkie three month old now with wry neck and have lost a silkie to accident recently but never have I seen the likes of this!!! If showgirls have neuro problems to this extent I'm going to have to give up on these little beauties! I will not par take in breeding them if this is the case.
Wondering if this is the norm? How many others have these neuro issues and deaths with showgirls? Is it their valuted heads? My hen was 8 months old, cockrels 6 months old, and this pullet three months old. I have had an over exagerated number of chick deaths with very few silkie chick deaths and practically none of silkie hens except the accident.

So nobody else loosing showgirls this way? I have seen a hen with deformed beak go around and peck the tops of the heads and think she is injuring the showgirls?

Back
Top Bottom