Ooops...left eggs sitting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I went shopping yesterday, and bought free range organic eggs ($3.79 plus tax, hurry up and LAY, girls!), and somehow in the shuffle of putting away groceries, the carton of eggs was left on the stone floor of the kitchen at the bottom of a bag of canning supplies.

When I held one, it was cool (not cold) to the touch. I went ahead and put the carton in the fridge at that time, even though it had been out for 24 hours. I haven't used any yet--are they safe to eat? My instinct is yes, but I thought I'd check.

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Ya, they're fine actually a lot of people store eggs out of the fridge

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Agreed. Eat them, they're fine.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, you're worried after 24 hours??? When we were kids eggs were hardly ever put up...cartons would sit out for a few days, and by then they'd be eaten. We never got sick, and the eggs didn't go bad....they'll be fine!!!!

5. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks! I knew that if they were fresh, they'd be fine, but I wasn't sure about ones that came from the store, since they're already a few weeks old by the time I got them.

[​IMG]

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You can actually leave them out for 30+ days if need be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by