Oops bought emu hatching eggs

'They sure run around like a group of raptors lol'

I bet that readers don't know that a clutch of chicks will lead the charge against 'an intruder.' It's fantastic to see a clutch of knee-high chicks charging wildly towards birds ten times their size. But they pull up short, to let Dad do the heavy lifting.

It’s been my privilege to see most every type of emu conflict, including Greedy Emu sailing past me with her head about nine feet off the ground the day she ‘deposed’ Eric The Emu by knocking him on his *ss about fifteen feet from where I was standing.

Now, you’ve likely seen that moment when two birds decide to battle. Their eyes lock. The heads go down and out. And they charge.

Well, on one famous occasion I was following a male with chicks about, watching through binoculars. (You can profitably do this at about twenty feet because you can identify what the chicks are eating.)

Unbeknowns, I got between the Dad and a resident female, and got to watch through the binos the Jurassic Park Moment when the male charged. Of course, he wasn’t charging me, but through the binos it didn’t matter.

All I could see, for about three seconds, was a fabulous close-up of a giant dinosaur head with evil eyes charging directly towards me.

And here she is! This is Greedy Emu.

There have been, over 15 years, only two 'double alpha' emus here.

The first was the legendary Eric the Emu, who ruled the house-clearing with an iron fist for years.

The second was his daughter, Greedy, whom I have seen attack a dozen wild emus at a time. She's the only emu I've seen who always has her chest feathers 'ruffed up.'

And on the fateful day, she took a huge run-up at Eric; leapt into the air at full speed; and hit him square on the chest with a mighty double-footed kick that, as I noted, sat him on his *ss.

[Her sister Felicity came though about two years ago, after a four-and-a-half year absence. I had thought Felicity -- all of them -- to be dead. The three chicks in the clutch -- Felicity Emu, Greedy Emu, and Number One -- are, if living, fifteen years old now. Present statuses unknown.]

Supreme Emu

Attachments

• greedy.jpeg
    greedy.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Got the kids moved outside Monday and not even 10hrs later Adam got hurt. He seems ok, got him cleaned up but it looks terrible. He's my favorite of the 2 boys so of course he'd be the problem child.

A bit graphic. He wedged himself in a small 5" gap and his feathers were ripped out. Skin is intact but he's bruised.
View attachment 3576151
Oh no poor Adam :hugs I hope it heals up all ok Alley and that he doesn’t get into more scrapes!

Back
Top Bottom