Oops Chicken Math got me again!

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
To be fair it didn't actually get me it got husband.

I'm driving 2.5hrs to get ducklings and return a cockerel to our breeder when husband calls and says he's just realised by returning one of our roos we now have 13 chickens and that's not a number he likes so I better get chickens too.

He didn't have to tell me twice! I'd already seen the breeder had Buff Orpington chicks so I was sold.

A few problems first, this may mean more roos that I'll have to return, second he only had one buff so you know this is going to be a boy ;) thirdly my limit was 15.....I had to get 3 as a minimum. Being he only had one buff this meant I have 2 speckled Sussex. Which I know nothing about!

If I have 3 roos I may cry 😂 I can't wait till we move to the country and then I will have a bachelor pad. Taking our beautiful boy back today was devastating :( he was such a character.

Attachments

• PXL_20220814_135116133.jpg
    PXL_20220814_135116133.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 22
I'm so glad you guys understand 😂

Happy Hen I did have to keep hubby happy but don't worry Neo it's a good blame I've wanted a Buff for a while! Didn't think I'd find some so when I got told to get more well that was the best news and well worth the horrendous journey.

Chick-wise so far we've had 50/50 first for, second 4 we had a cream legbar so our of the 3 Marsbars we got 1 girl. Even the day old ducklings we got were 50/50 (we think).

I love the guessing and wait to find out though. Every morning I do a comb check, it's fascinating to me so I'm excited to be getting to do it again 😁

The only difficulty with boys is having to take them back so far!

Last edited:
So I have 13 hens so does that mean I can get few more then wen hubby notices say can't have 13 as a round number worth a shot rite ? Haha they lovely xx
Absolutely! My husband and daughter have a total aversion to 13 they are a suspicious bunch! Tell hubby it's unlucky and so you must get at least one more but of course you can't get one if it's chicks it's 3 minimum and if it's pullets at least a pair xx

We only have 10, and DH LOVES his lucky number 13, so DS convinced him we can add 3 more next year. Then I explained how difficult it will be integrating 3 into a flock of 10, so he said 5 more would be ok…heh heh heh.

Speckled Sussex are awesome, I think you will love them! And our Buff Orp is DSs favorite in our group. He says she looks just like a loaf of bread when she sits on his lap. 😂

We only have 10, and DH LOVES his lucky number 13, so DS convinced him we can add 3 more next year. Then I explained how difficult it will be integrating 3 into a flock of 10, so he said 5 more would be ok…heh heh heh.

Speckled Sussex are awesome, I think you will love them! And our Buff Orp is DSs favorite in our group. He says she looks just like a loaf of bread when she sits on his lap. 😂
That's brilliant 😂😂😂

If I added any more I'd have to build a bigger coop and I aint doing all that. My solution was to venture back into quails. I now have quail cages hung all around my covered run. Chickens on ground floor and quail factory 2nd story.

Now that's a good idea! Luckily husband built the coop big enough for about 40 chickens but the run is going to have to be extended before the chicks in the outdoor brooder join the big girls group. So as soon as he's finished the duck house he's got to fence off half the garden for the poultry and then he can work on extending the run. Poor guy doesn't get a break but I say we can sleep when were dead.....he says I keep working him this hard and that'll happen sooner rather than later 😂

Back
Top Bottom