"Oops" chicks, so crazy I barely know what to do.

RoussoHomestead

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Today just sucks already.

Looks like we missed a hidden nest - as we had 8 babies in the coop this morning - only 4 of which were alive.

I had a parent-teacher conference early so I grabbed two babies that weren't walking - so they wouldn't get trampled - and put them in a box temporarily, and left two that were following their mother, I presume, and seemed fine. I also grabbed what dead babies I could find and disposed of them.

When I got back, one of the chicks I'd left in the coop had been attacked and appears to have a dislocated leg. Another baby in the makeshift brooder seems to have the same problem. I doubt any of them will make it but I'm going to do the best I can :(

Meanwhile, I've taken the nest apart and inspected every inch of the coop for more babies - didn't find any. I took out the perching rack they were hiding eggs behind, and the nesting boxes, which they've never preferred using anyway - so we can rethink that strategy.

Based on the suspected mother, the feathered feet and the rooster we have, these are frizzle/polish babies.

Three questions:

They aren't terribly interested in food or water. I've put some starter on a plate and wet it down - is there something else I can try?

Should I put the momma and babies in a crate together or just try to keep the babies in the brooder with their heat lamp?

What do I do with the two babies that have broken legs? Could I be wrong about them being broken and maybe they are just so little they can't walk yet? The one on the left has one leg that they hold behind them, and can't stand at all. It's leaning on the side in the but most of the time it's on it's belly all splayed out.

Thanks for looking...

Emmi

Three questions:

They aren't terribly interested in food or water. I've put some starter on a plate and wet it down - is there something else I can try?

Should I put the momma and babies in a crate together or just try to keep the babies in the brooder with their heat lamp?

What do I do with the two babies that have broken legs? Could I be wrong about them being broken and maybe they are just so little they can't walk yet? The one on the left has one leg that they hold behind them, and can't stand at all. It's leaning on the side in the but most of the time it's on it's belly all splayed out.

They don't need food water for the first 2-3 days as they are living off the yolk they absorbed just before hatching. You can offer them some and gently dip the chicks' beaks in the water to show them, but leave it at that. They will eat and drink when they need to.

It would be better if the hen raises them, so put the ones that are mobile with mom so long, so she can take care of them. Then see what's up with the other two's legs first.

Have a look here: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Good luck!

If you have a broody - does not need to be biological mom just broody then I would put them in with a broody. If none of your pullets/hens appear broody then I would not chance placing them with a non broody hen. Just raise them in the brooder with a heat lamp.

A non broody hen will most likely not be good to the chicks.

Caroline

The baby that couldn't sit up has died. I'll set up the dog crate and put the babies with the frizzle since she is broody, small and gentle. Thank you for the replies. Fingers crossed for the remaining babies..

- Emmi

Back
Top Bottom