Oops eggs from turkeys?

Scottiemom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So, I am familiar with the little, often empty, oops eggs (also known as fart eggs, rooster eggs, fairy eggs, etc...) that chickens can lay on occasion. I have chickens, but I am not really that familiar with turkeys. My question is, do turkeys do this, too? We found what looks to be a completely intact wild turkey egg in the yard, but it felt very light. I tried to candle it but I can't seem to see anything inside at all. (I do have an incubator that hasn't been used, so I did consider giving it a try, but not if it's probably unfertilized.)
Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Could be so old the contents evaporated.
Don't think it's that. The lawn is mowed every week and the dogs are in the backyard multiple times a day. It is a fenced, completely landscaped yard and, although it was under a bush, it wasn't really "hidden". If it was layed in the yard, it had to have been extremely recent.
Either that, or maybe it was a stolen egg (raccoon, skunk, owls, hawk?) That was my other thought. (Couldn't be the dogs, either, they are only about 20lbs and they don't leave the yard.)

Yeah, no holes or cracks at all. Maybe a critter was trying to get away with it and got chased off by the dogs? Ultimately, I was just wondering if turkeys will lay eggs that don't have an "egg" inside. I know chickens do occasionally.

Float test it. If it's a fresh egg, it won't float, it will sink. If it floats, it's probably old, the contents of the egg having evaporated.
If it floats, it could be an animal found an old nest and stole an egg and left it for you to find.
If it sinks I would try to incubate it. Most eggs from wild birds are fertile.

So, I am familiar with the little, often empty, oops eggs (also known as fart eggs, rooster eggs, fairy eggs, etc...) that chickens can lay on occasion. I have chickens, but I am not really that familiar with turkeys. My question is, do turkeys do this, too? We found what looks to be a completely intact wild turkey egg in the yard, but it felt very light. I tried to candle it but I can't seem to see anything inside at all. (I do have an incubator that hasn't been used, so I did consider giving it a try, but not if it's probably unfertilized.)
Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
If it is a wild turkey egg, it is illegal to collect them and incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom