Oops... I caught a coon

Quote:
I agree that once a coon decides to commit suicide, it should receive all the help it can get. A shotgun can damage or destroy your trap and that sounds like a trap you want to keep. I'm very cautious about ricochets after a friend's son lost a kneecap to a ricochet, but if you can safely do it, I'd suggest a .22. And a coon is mostly fur with little body. I'd recommend a head shot.

Quote:
I agree that once a coon decides to commit suicide, it should receive all the help it can get. A shotgun can damage or destroy your trap and that sounds like a trap you want to keep. I'm very cautious about ricochets after a friend's son lost a kneecap to a ricochet, but if you can safely do it, I'd suggest a .22. And a coon is mostly fur with little body. I'd recommend a head shot.

Totally agree here. A .22 is what I use because it's a subsonic light weight round that is less likely to ricochet.

Hmm... Dad and I may be doing some gun shopping tonight then. All we have is the shotgun and the pellet gun. A .22 would probably be more my size anyway, though, and it's probably time that I got my own. I so adept with "primitive" weapons (bow, sling, throwing stick, etc), that it's about time I got with the times
wink.png

If you haven't had any poblems with the coons, I'd personally be inclined to just let it go, but understand the reasoning of disbatching it. I recently had to disbatch some coons and possum for the fist time. Do what you feel is fair and just.

About the firearms. I really reccomend a .22 rifle as a woman. I can't shoot a hand gun at all, (it was just a CO2 BB gun so there was no kick or anything) they just don't feel 'natural' to me like the .22 rifle does. And the .22 has no kick and isn't that loud. It is my gun of choice.

Quote:
Its the gun of choice for a lot of us guys too!!!!! They are lightweight and practical firearms. Ammo is inexpensive and will take down any varmint that you can get in the cross hairs.

if you have a have a heart type trap, just poke the barrel in and make a clean shot up close.

Quote:
Maybe they have been looking in your window and watching fox news channel and don't know how to handle whats going on in this country and decide suicide might be better then more taxes. There could be a wildlife tax.

Quote:
Maybe they have been looking in your window and watching fox news channel and don't know how to handle whats going on in this country and decide suicide might be better then more taxes. There could be a wildlife tax.

yuckyuck.gif

They'd have difficulty watching fox news in my house, unless they have their own remote
big_smile.png
I don't watch the news at all.

Though they may have all heard that Mom's on the warpath because the deer are trampling her strawberries. Maybe they figure me with a gun is a better end than her with whatever she can get her hands on
wink.png

I can just picture it now, you mom running out to the garden to do battle with the viscous snaggle toothed deer, frying pan of eggs in one hand and a broom in the other......... curlers flying and she hasn't had her 1st coffee yet... Going to be he$l to pay
smile.png

Quote:
Its the gun of choice for a lot of us guys too!!!!! They are lightweight and practical firearms. Ammo is inexpensive and will take down any varmint that you can get in the cross hairs.

if you have a have a heart type trap, just poke the barrel in and make a clean shot up close.

Do you use a rifle or handgun? Every couple of years we go and shoot cans just for fun, the .22 is the only one I'm not scared of. I'm such a wuss, I hate guns that kick. I've seen the bruises dh has had from using his more powerful firearms and no thank you, I will keep my little rifle.

Back
Top Bottom