Oops, I feel kinda dumb, but looks good! Warning: Graphic photo

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Roccomanchickens, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Well, the weather here in central Arkansas has been in the 100's with a heat index of over 105. Now rethinking trying to raise Cornish X in the heat, but too late now [​IMG] Been reading all kinds of ideas how to keep the chicks cool (they are 2.5 and 1.5 weeks old), so last night froze a block of ice in a rubbermaid container to put in the pen. I'm sure some of you can see where this is going, but I wasn't even thinking about what would happen when the ice melted [​IMG]

So I go back out there in the early evening as it's cooling down (about 95:eek:) and there he is "chillin in the melted ice." I wasn't planning on processing any until next week, but since the ice was only recently melted, and he was still very cold, he's going to be dinner in a couple of nights. (or an appetizer anyway!)

Here's how it ended:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

3. Tumbleweed Farm

Tumbleweed Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Benton City, WA
    How old is this processed chicken, it's huge![​IMG]

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, it was going to end that way, anyway. Might as well use it.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Interesting, none the less. Did it make it difficult to bleed out? Let us know how he tastes. [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good job. No sense letting it go to waste. [​IMG]

7. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Looks yummy to me! Wrapped in tin foil and slow cooked on the grille, he/she will be awesome.

8. Roccomanchickens

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    It was not even 8 oz. I think. About 2/3 the size of a cornish game hen you'd buy in the store.

As far as bleeding out; it kind of did it on it's own surprisingly. The only blood was in the neck and the wing tips that you can see in the picture.

Also, plucked it without scalding it. It really didnt have many feathers yet, just on the wings really. Gonna let it rest for a day or two, something I never knew about chickens, I always just started eating them the same day. With the Cornish X I never found that it mattered much, they were still pretty tender.

The good thing was it got my DGD and DS ready for the "real thing" coming up in about a week and a half. We're going to try Caponizing some roosters as soon as we get chicks again. She wants to be a veternarian, so she is really excited. Kinda weird for a 9 year old, but I'm really proud of her bravery.

9. Roccomanchickens

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Quote:About 8 oz I think, more like a quail:drool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by