Oops! New chick mama still learning.

Matejka

Free Ranging
My closest friend, New to chicks, has 6 3 week old cuties.
Today, I got a panicked, hysterical, crying telephone call from her. She had cleaned her brooder, and used a New, different bedding.All 6 are dying. It started with 1, laying in bottom of brooder in "spasms". Wind flapping legs kicking. Within minutes ALL 6 were acting same way. Laying on side wing flap legs jerking. I live less than 10 min away, told her I'm on my way, and flew over there.
I observed same behavior.
Those babies were enjoying their first dust bath. She had replaced puppy pads with sand. Their fine, sleeping on roost, totally worn out. We were all New at 1 time, we learn as we go along. I will remember this, it might happen again. That panicked post from a new mama, i will ask lots of questions, it might be as simple as a dirt bath.

My closest friend, New to chicks, has 6 3 week old cuties.
Today, I got a panicked, hysterical, crying telephone call from her. She had cleaned her brooder, and used a New, different bedding.All 6 are dying. It started with 1, laying in bottom of brooder in "spasms". Wind flapping legs kicking. Within minutes ALL 6 were acting same way. Laying on side wing flap legs jerking. I live less than 10 min away, told her I'm on my way, and flew over there.
I observed same behavior.
Those babies were enjoying their first dust bath. She had replaced puppy pads with sand. Their fine, sleeping on roost, totally worn out. We were all New at 1 time, we learn as we go along. I will remember this, it might happen again. That panicked post from a new mama, i will ask lots of questions, it might be as simple as a dirt bath.
Praise the Lord it was just a dirt bath! Yes, we were all new at one point!

The first time my wife saw one of our first hens sprawled out in the driveway, covered in dirt and baking in the sun, she thought I ran it over in my truck. She shrieked and it popped up, totally alarmed, and ran off into the pasture. It avoided her for about a week.

Now my wife is "country" and texts me pics of the cute things the chickens do- like taking dirt baths.

Back
Top Bottom