Opal Blackshoulder chicks

hugs.gif
took them long enough to take them out ya think? hope you feel better soon .
PS eat lots of yogart or ice icream so ya don't starve to death before ya feel better.

Last edited:
Frenchblackshoulder ,, When Stephanie and I had more input into the UPA web site this was one of the things that we were working on. It is not as easy as saying to do it .. It is hard to get very many people to send photos of good enough quality to use in a large size for the page,, I thought that the UPA needed large photos and .. not some with a small bird standing out in the field in a 2x3 inch size.. With many people using photos from the web sites as their own, the UPA will have to use some type of ID and then there is the question of who has the use of these photos of birds and backgrounds . It takes a lot of time to cover 225 birds using their growth from chicks to adults,,,, of male and female. This cost a lot for the webmasters time. We are working on finding another web master now as the last one resigned to keep up with his own business. It takes a lot of time to set in the pen to get good photos of birds and if you have all of them ( not all 225 different birds are made but can be ) it would take over 2000 photos to cover all of these. There is a very small amount of feedback from the UPA membership and it is hard to get photos and stories even for the Peafowl Today publication so I dont see a large improvement in the web site for a while.. Anyone reading this may feel welcome to send in photo of high pix of different colors , age , patterns, sexes. for use in the future updates of the website... The UPA also needs peafowl photos for the next calander (2013) year.. There are a number of regulations that control the use of the photos and a number of opinions on what can and cannot be done..I hope this answered some of your questions on why this had not been done by the UPA . If the people that really care and want to work for free the help would be appreciated and this can be done... The UPA should be the top site for people to go to and this takes people to do this work. thanks for your input. George A Conner

Peacock
He is a opal blackshoulder male.

young opal blackshoulder hen males opal BS in back

yearling opal blackshoulder trio

George,thanks for the information about why UPA don't yet have this completed.My own website gives me the ability to upload pictures and relative information about my dogs and puppies for sale.It has it's own database I guess.If the UPA had a "backend" to it such as mine does several UPA members could all access and upload information about each color-pattern and it would cut down on the workload tremendously.A basic template would need to be designed so each picture with the type and age of that bird to be uploaded. I've found depending on someone else to do easy updates such as what my website needs is costly and not timely enough for me so I opted for the ability to do some parts myself.
But many,many times before when I try to seek internet pictures of some peafowl it is not there.I have never seen one of your Violetta males with a full train.I have yet to see a picture of a Mocha male with a full train.Let alone what a chick looks like of either color.Maybe it would just be easier to have a single website devoted to just pictures of peafowl? It could have a direct link off the UPA website or the URL added so people could go there from the UPA site.
You can understand why some new peafowl owners-fanciers has so many questions about ID'ing the birds they have,because there is no 1 stop place to see every color combination-pattern at all ages of growth.And some of us are somewhat isolated from other breeders that lives closeby,I myself included.This is a project that should be done.I am not a UPA member but since that association is looked at as the main peafowl internet connection point it should have the most information about peafowl and identifying them instead of trying to search and locate pictures all over the internet from many websites.
It takes me maybe 2 minutes on my website to upload a picture,add text under the picture and the upload it.One simple template is used but since I have Pay Pal there is another page I need to upload somewhat the same information on.I understand the numbers involved but if it's just a matter of doing even less than what my website requires I know I could upload maybe 100-150 pictures in an evening.Get 2-3 others doing the same thing,,and this could be done in a few short nights.I know it's easier said than done but by having elected directors and paying members gives someone,somwhere within UPA the authority to set an agenda and have it completed. I know a little about website development and a simple template along with a domain can be done for a few hundred dollars that will allow anyone who has a password to upload a picture.Then that page can be "locked" or password protected so nothing else can be changed or added once it's completed.

I don't know if that would work FBC. I think an expert like the late Deerman would really have to look over the pictures submitted. If just anyone like myself was allowed to just put their pictures on the web-site it would probably end up the web-sit of mass confusion. Not everyone keeps good records, knows their colors, or simply takes a good natural colored picture of their birds. We have learned that with unknown splits we can get a chick out of the ordinary. Unless you really have experience like some, know their colors, had the chicks and followed them through their color maturity and was a very good photographer along with record keeping I'm afraid the idea would be a fast solution but the end results maybe not that good.

I know there are members of the UPA that could upload proper colors-patterns of their adult birds especially if they have owned them for many years,amd been breeding them the same year after year.Ultimately someone at the UPA would have final say as to the picture being correct for the color-pattern uploaded but there is a strong need for this.Sure it would take some time and coordination of several members to do it but it would be an invaluable resource for everyone.Not every peafowl breeder has every color or pattern.I myself have never seen a Midnight hen,,and have thought the color Midnight was only in the b/s pattern because I have yet to see a picture of an ordinary midnight hen,or a Midnight Peacock,,that is NOT BLACKSHOULDER. Is there such a bird? If so I'd like to see a pic of both.And in my opinion,if UPA cannot supply this information something is wrong.Seems if the members or officers has to vote on new colors it should be just as easy to get pictures of them at that time so all can see them.How long has the UPA been in existance? All these colors and patterns didn't appear all at once but have taken many years to breed and obtain so it would be easy to upload information each year as new colors-patterns are accepted as a approved color-ect.Now with 275 diffrent mutations it seems like a mountain of work when in fact if done each year it may take an hour if adding 1-3 new colors-patterns?

I know there are members of the UPA that could upload proper colors-patterns of their adult birds especially if they have owned them for many years,amd been breeding them the same year after year.Ultimately someone at the UPA would have final say as to the picture being correct for the color-pattern uploaded but there is a strong need for this.Sure it would take some time and coordination of several members to do it but it would be an invaluable resource for everyone.Not every peafowl breeder has every color or pattern.I myself have never seen a Midnight hen,,and have thought the color Midnight was only in the b/s pattern because I have yet to see a picture of an ordinary midnight hen,or a Midnight Peacock,,that is NOT BLACKSHOULDER. Is there such a bird? If so I'd like to see a pic of both.And in my opinion,if UPA cannot supply this information something is wrong.Seems if the members or officers has to vote on new colors it should be just as easy to get pictures of them at that time so all can see them.How long has the UPA been in existance? All these colors and patterns didn't appear all at once but have taken many years to breed and obtain so it would be easy to upload information each year as new colors-patterns are accepted as a approved color-ect.Now with 275 diffrent mutations it seems like a mountain of work when in fact if done each year it may take an hour if adding 1-3 new colors-patterns?
It probably should of been a requirement when each color was introduced and it would be really nice for all to be able to go to the site and see each color from baby chick to peahen and peacock. I'm not a very good at taking pictures. Maybe if I ever sit down and read the directions I could do better. Downloading a good picture could take minutes but I might be forever trying to get a quality picture of a bird that shows the true colors to down load for the world to see.. I guess I thought you meant that just anyone could take a picture and download the pictures on the web-site. Like everything I suspect if they paid someone to take the time and do all this then it would no longer be free to view.

I've inquired about this in the past as well, with no results. I even suggested to Brad Legg that each colour needs a "Standard of Perfection" almost and a book with all the colours would be very helpful. My initial thoughts were just to be able to id the different colours in the wild pattern only for male and female, but if it were possible to get a number of breeders together or willing breeders to create such a book/website it would be an invaluable tool. I have also requested photos for such a book so that it could be made available, but no one replied. I currently have the following colours: bronze, opal, cameo, purple, peach, charcoal, midnight bs, indian blue and indian blue bs. this does not include some of the other patterns I have as well. I have taken some photos, but want to make a pen specifically for taking photos in so that I have correct lighting on the bird and can achieve a specific pose (mainly in the male and its train). If I ever had this done, I could just make it into a trailer, and travel around to take the pictures of the colours/patterns I don't have. And yes, FBC, Midnight does come in wild pattern as well. Legg has some, but his midnight pied (not blackshoulder) pics are really good.

Back
Top Bottom