Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Quote:
My oldest springer did exactly the same thing for the first time this morning. I opened the back of the car for them all to jump in as usual, two of them bounded in but my old guy struggled a bit and fell onto his back and hit his head on the concrete before I could try and catch him.
sad.png
He seems to have aged very quickly. Last year we didn't hardly notice him getting old at all, but in the last 6 months or so he has got quite deaf, his eyes are clouding over and he has very stiff joints. It's very sad.

On a happier note my broody had a surprise waiting for me this morning. I guess I misjudged the poor girl!

16494_brahmachick_006.jpg

Wet and gray here this morning but it's still a wonderful morning. When I think of the tragedy at befell the poor folks camping in Arkansas how can I find fault with my life. My heart goes out to them and their families.

Thistle it seems you are going to have some beautiful chickens on your hands if how they look as chicks is any indication. Congratulations on your new arrivals. Saturday morning I had 32 chicks, Sunday morning 0. The coop seems strangely quiet. I gave some of the chicks as prizes for games at Chickenstock and sold the remainder.

Quote:
I can help you with your problem
smile.png

I have carefully examined all of the words in the above post and can find nothing to indicate that I have any kind of problem. I do however, remember that your daughter says that she now has room for the ameraucana pullet she liked in my tractor.

Quote:
I can help you with your problem
smile.png

I have carefully examined all of the words in the above post and can find nothing to indicate that I have any kind of problem. I do however, remember that your daughter says that she now has room for the ameraucana pullet she liked in my tractor.

There's you problem, Sam!
lau.gif
But wylie, it's hard to out-wily Opa!

Since MacLeod, my only DBH rooster, died the other day I was been struggling to not fire up the incubator. I really don't have the time, energy, space or money for a zillion new chicks. But I really want to....
hmm.png

Common sense must prevail though. Every time I am tempted I remember the 4 extra roos I have yet to rehome! Luckily, the blue DBH Goldie hatched appears to be a cockeral, so I may have one for the flock after all! Goldie had the chicks out for a fun, very thorough dust bath yesterday. At times I could barely see for the clouds of dust. The chicks are a month old now.

14937_img_3035_2.jpg

Mighty cute chicks you got Highlander,
fl.gif
for B2!

Hot and very humid here, some folks in SC have already lost some hens to the heat. I am going to have to set up the fans soon.

The Hydrangea in the front yard. I love the blue.

14937_img_3021_3.jpg

I think I am done hatching for the year. I want to build 3 new coops to house the bantam breeds I have, then transfer all of the Welsummers into a coop by themselves. Sometime over the winter I intend to build a wooden incubator/hatcher with a glass lid that will allow me to view all the eggs during lockdown. It was a pain trying to look through the 2 little windows in my current incubators

Back
Top Bottom