Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Evening folks, what a day! Stopped canning to clean up a bit and apparently I had lots of bits laying around...whew!! Another steamy day here with no real break in sight. Opa, glad you helped Granny with her pickles, those days are long gone for momma and me, but they are great memories. Gonna try your recipe though when I get some more cucumbers picked.
wink.png

Hubby got the garden groundhog today so maybe our new beans will get to grow.
wee.gif
We had a bobcat visit last week and it ended abruptly for her and I had kinda relaxed on the daytime varmit thing; guess you can never relax!! About 30 minutes before dark, out walks another bobcat; just strolls thru the field heading for the garden, even stopped for a bit in our early spring garden patch. Hubby slipped out on the deck and I couldn't figure out why he wasn't shooting, I could see it fine, I knew he could. Well, a 77 degree scope and a 95+ humid temp on the deck took care of seeing anything thru the scope...uggh!
barnie.gif
By the time I figured out what was going on and grabbed my rifle and got the window open it had made it to the garden and was out of sight!!
somad.gif
Kinda makes you sick feeling; oh well, maybe tomorrow!! Chickens on lockdown now though for a while.

Hope everyone has had a great day....enjoy the coffee in the morning if I don't get a chance to stop by!!

I can sure relate to the problems with trying to get a shot at predators and pests. The other day a coyote showed up and the only gun I had readily available was a 22 cal pistol. No way was I going to get close enough for a shot. Then I discovered a small woodchuck stuck in the wire fence trying to get out of my garden. In stead of grabbing a 2x2 next to where I was standing and smacking it, I went back to the house to get a gun. When I returned the wood chuck had gotten free.
Now I have guns stashed in several handy locations and nothing shows. The traps have gone the last two nights unmolested so I guess the coons are staying away but I still will stay vigilent.

Well, this was a painful morning.

Ok, so I was going to bed last night, and I fail to see a toothpick standing straight up. Yes, I step on it. I pluck it out of my foot and attempt to get some sleep since I've been jolted awake.

This morning, I wake up, and find a 1/2 inch of said toothpick embedded in my foot! Cue the needle and tweezers. Ouch.

Oh, and why can't you shoot a coyote with a 22 caliber pistol?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprite, the reason that I wouldn't use a 22 pistol is the first the distance you need to be at is less than 50'. Second, the small projectile isn't really adequate to dispatch the animal quickly and humanely.

10233_coffee_6.gif
I've got to call my oldest son Josef today and wish him Happy Birthday. It's hard to fathom that he is 44 years old. I was stationed in Germany and his mother and I were anxiously awaiting his birth when my Engineer unit was sent on an extended field problem to Grafenwohr to constuct tank turning pads. While he wasn't due for six weeks I still wasn't too happy with having to leave for a month.

Since it was a construction job rather than a military manuever, officers and NCO's were allowed to take their personal vehicles so if anything happened I would be able to get an emergency leave and return home. As luck would have it, just a few days before we were scheduled to return, I was notified that my wife had gone into labor. I couldn't find out anything other than that I should return to our base in Bamberg. That was perhaps the longest 90 miles I have ever driven in my entire life.

It was in the wee hours of the morning when I arrived at home only to find a note saying that she had gone to the post dispensary. Due to the hour, it was difficult finding anyone there that knew anything. I was finally able to find a medic who thought that a woman and a baby had been taken to the Army hospital in Nuremberg, 45 miles to the south.

Finally I arrive at the hospital and was reunited with my wife. In those days, you didn't know what the sex of the baby would be until you could hold it and take inventory. It hadn't matter what the sex would be, our only concern had been for her and the baby to both be well. I was delighted to find them both well and since the baby was born in Germany we had agree to give the child a German name. When I was finally allowed to go to the nursery, the baby was brought to us and the name tag read Josef Grissom. I officially was a father, I had a son, and my life was changed in ways I could have never imagined.

Now forty four years later I still think back to the first moment I saw him and the wonder of it all returns. How fortunate I have been to watch him and his brothers grow into men. He has become a responsible member of society, a friend to many, a loving husband, and a doting father that any man would be proud to call son.

Good Morning All, and Happy Birthday to Josef! (and congratulations Opa on a job well done)
PK, OUCH! Take care of that foot.
hugs.gif
The Very Large Array.........Very Cool and Very Educational! Kudos to your folks for taking you on such outings!
CCMH, Bobcats?
ep.gif
I'm glad we don't have them here. Glad to hear Momma's hand is doing better.
fl.gif
that the fall garden does well.
Ranchie, I got three ducks, yes ducks not drakes, in June and they are such fun to watch. Glad you're enjoying some morning peace., how long do you figure that will last?
lol.png
I've got couple young roos right now that are trying my patience
rant.gif

frow.gif
to everyone..........hope you all have a great day!

We went up to a friend's house on Saturday to drop off a few quinea keets from another friend. They asked if we'd like some sweet corn that had just reached maturity and I said SURE so we headed over to the field!! My parents were raised on farms in Nebraska and since my Dad was in the Air Force, we'd travel there each year for visits. It was usually in the summer since school was out and traveling in winter to Nebraska was tempting fate. One of the things I always loved was visiting my Aunt and Uncle's farm. I was always so jealous of my "farmer cousins" for their ability to have all kinds of animals. We always had fresh picked corn-on-the-cob on those trips. My brothers, sister and I thought it was a great adventure to go out with my Uncle to the field and pick the corn. My cousins would go with us but you could tell they didn't see the fun of it. We'd bring it back and help shuck it and then throw the husks into the cows, horses and pigs with such gusto. Looking back, I bet my cousins thought we were some crazy city kids without a clue!
gig.gif
There is nothing better than just ready, freshly picked corn-on-the-cob and each time I have it, it brings me back to those visits.

Later, Mary

Yay, happy birthday Opa's son!!
wee.gif

They're straightening my back teeth with some kind of metal thing and it hurts!!
rant.gif
Can my brothers stop watching that show? I swear, the characters are SO annoying!

Quote:
Gorgeous pic Highlander! I am reading "The Historian" and this morning's chapter had the characters describing them being on the Pest side of the Danube and they mentioned the Parliament buildings.......I knew exactly what they looked like because of your pics. Thank you for the visual.
smile.png
They also talked about the food......was it any good?

Back
Top Bottom