Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Hi everyone
frow.gif

Had a great holiday with the grandkids...went geocaching in the the Smokies and visited Ranchie in SC.

21259_img_1998.jpg

My daughter and the kids at a geocache in SC

21259_img_1988.jpg

Kiely playing the conch horn at Ranchies'

21259_img_1990.jpg

Dakota at Ranchies' trying to play the horn....not real successful!

Sure was nice to see Harlan's pictures from her visit with Ranchie. It sure is nice to be able to get together with people that we have met through this site. Last night we went to dinner at another members home and were joined by several other BYCers. What a great evening and today thinking about it makes me want to meet even more of you.

Harlan, looks like you had so much fun!
clap.gif

Opa, glad you could meet some other BYCers!

Good morning, all!
wee.gif

It's cold and rainy here this morning and the forecast is calling for snow tonight, but I'm not complaining. After looking at all of the damage from tornadoes that wrecked havoc on so many people, a little snow is no big deal.

I have always enjoyed eating and desserts are my favorite part of a meal. Cake is probably the best since there are so many variations. On particular favorite was a coconut cake that we found in a Southern Living cookbook and it called for a product that is no longer available, frozen fresh coconut. I've searched everywhere trying to find it. I wasn't happy with how it came out using dehydrated coconut so I started trying to find a good alternative. Finally hit upon the solution. I take a 16oz pkg of coconut and add one can of coconut milk to it. Refrigerating the mixture overnight allows the coconut to rehydrate and I believe the end result is a cake that is better than it was using the frozen coconut.

Coconut-Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 pkg 8 oz cream cheese softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups prepared coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut flavoring

Beat butter, shortening, and cream cheese at medium speed with mixture for 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition just until yellow disappears.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and cocnut flavoring.

Pour batter into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes, remove from pan, dust with powdered sugar and allow to cool.

Good Morning Opa, The cake sounds delicious! My DH does not like coconut but will have to try this for a potluck sometime.

Ranchie, I hope all is well with you this morning and to anyone else that may have been in the storms paths yesterday.
hugs.gif

PK, We, of course, will need pics of the Polish!!!

Good morning!

The Polish, which are named Infel and Nenesha, are doing fine, as well as the other chickens. I think I'm coming down with something, though...
hugs.gif
to all!

Back
Top Bottom