Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

As I sit here at my desk enjoying a cream-filled long john, I see no reason why cake and pie should not be considered breakfast food. As well as cold pizza, which I enjoyed for breakfast many times when I was in college.

It's been rather damp here this morning but the rain has finally quite and the sun is now out. As I sat drinking coffee yesterday four does spent quite some time grazing in the clover 75 yards from my window. Today is the 1st day of the 2 day special doe season, a muzzle loader sits within reach and of course the deer have failed to show. I sure wish I could find that calendar in the woods that seems to kept them informed of my intent.

Sure understand the wish to find that calendar! For the last three evenings we have had 3 doe in our backyard right behind the coop. Our bow season starts on the 30th. Probably won't see hide nor hair of them after the 29th. They will make me work for my dinner from one of the blinds or my treestand.
Have feeders going and cameras setup. Lots of doe this year but no bucks. My neighbors are saying the same thing. With the strange weather we expected an early rut, but no signs of scrapes or rubs yet. Venison in the freezer is running low so I hope one of us gets one this year. We sponsor a hunter from the Physically Challenged Bow Hunters of America to hunt our property for three days each year. It is a great organization. They place accessible blinds for their hunter, supply a feeder and sometimes a camera. Our hunter last year took a nice doe. It was great to see him successful. This is the only chance some of these people get to hunt as they are not able to negotiate public hunting lands. Good luck with your hunt.

As we were headed out to attend a birthday party this afternoon a deer strolls into the clover. As I pick up my gunI tell Hope that we are going to be late. As it turned out, not only had this deer consulted the calendar, it also had read the hunting digest and was fully aware that this was a special 2 day doe only hunt. He could graze with impunity. Dumb animals........................yet sure.

This is a test to find out just how out of kilter my darlin' daughter's cake radar has become since her recent move. This is a **** good cake.

Double Decadence Chocolate Cake with Glossy Chocolate Frosting
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Yield: 12 servings
CAKE INGREDIENTS:
No-Stick Cooking Spray 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 cup strong brewed coffee 2 cups sugar 1 2/3 cups All Purpose Flour 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 large eggs 1/2 cup vegetable Oil 1 cup buttermilk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 12 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips 1/4 cup Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
DIRECTIONS:
HEAT oven to 300ºF. Spray two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper or parchment paper; spray again.
COMBINE chocolate chips and hot coffee in medium bowl. Let mixture stand, whisking occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
BEAT eggs in bowl of electric mixer until thick and yellow, about 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture, beating until well combinedl. Add dry ingrediCarefully remove wax paper. Cool completely.
WHISK together cream, sugar and corn syrup in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in chocolate chips until melted and mixture is smooth. Cut shortening into pieces. Add to frosting, whisking until smooth. Pour into bowl. Refrigerate until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
PLACE one cake layer on serving dish. Spread top with frosting. Top with second cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
*To make 1 cup of strong brewed coffee: Measure 1/3 cup coffee and 1 1/3 cup cold water into a drip coffeemaker. ents; beat on medium speed until just combined. Divide batter between prepared pans.
BAKE 45 minutes in middle of oven or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 30 to 45 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of pans. Invert layers onto racks.

Back
Top Bottom